LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Use of Left/Right in descriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pattern descriptions on stickers are often in need of a Left/Right qualifier.
I think we are maybe using it very differently among the part authors.
I find it odd that I often feel I have to correct the descriptions on stickers intended for vehicles.

There is a definition of Up in the sticker specs.
"The sticker should be oriented such that the top of the pattern aligns with the +Z axis."
But how about Left and Right?

Imagine a vehicle with an arrow pattern on the right hand side pointing backwards.
[attachment=8042]
The description should be "Sticker ...  with Arrow Left" but it should be placed on the right hand side of the vehicle.
How do I describe that pattern?   "Sticker ...  with Arrow Left Right"
On the opposite side it would become the opposite, "Sticker ...  with Arrow Right Left"

We have a qualifier (Formed) on formed sticker.
Maybe there needs to be a (Right) qualifier for stickers intended to be on the RHS (right hand side) of a vehicle?
And of course (Left) on the LHS.
Here's an example.

[attachment=8046]

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...42275p.dat

The description is:  "Sticker  1.9 x  0.8 with Red Arrow and Black Triangle on White Background Left",
but it is intended to be on the RHS, right hand side of the vehicle.

What is Left in this description refering too? I want to change it to Right, since it placed on the RHS of the vehcle.
Especially the Speed Champions do have a lot of those stickers that could beneft from such a qualifier that specifies theri original intended position.
(2022-06-20, 21:26)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]Especially the Speed Champions do have a lot of those stickers that could beneft from such a qualifier that specifies theri original intended position.

While not explicitly stated, it is implied that the intended (i.e. in use) up should be "up" for all stickers. If this is the case, left/right should be self evident. In those rare cases where a sticker has no definite up or down (e.g. it is used both ways in a model) then the author can just pick a direction.