LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Bionicle "Minifig" parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../54276.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../51663.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../51643.dat

These Bionicle parts aren't Contraction but they are not Technic either? I'm inclined to have them in the Minifig category family.
Thoughts?
(2022-05-31, 2:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../54276.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../51663.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../51643.dat

These Bionicle parts aren't Contraction but they are not Technic either? I'm inclined to have them in the Minifig category family.
Thoughts?

Agreed, but they need to have a Bionicle keyword! Similar parts (already minifig): 54275, 53989, 55237 series.
Bad idea ™. Should be grouped with Technic.

w.
(2022-05-31, 7:36)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Bad idea ™. Should be grouped with Technic.

w.
These are minifig stuff, really nothing to do with Technic or Constraction!
I thought as well, what they have to do with Technic when i started to redo the 51663. no technic connection point at all. Only the 3.2mm bar.

Should have a Bionicle Keyword
In my eyes this is minifig stuff, but should get a bionicle keyword.
(2022-05-31, 7:36)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Bad idea ™. Should be grouped with Technic.

w.

Well I'm working on moving most specialized Bionicle out of Technic and into Constraction or elsewhere.
This is the perfect moment to start a serious discussion if Bionacle should be considered LEGO at all! Big Grin

w.
Definitely not Minifig either.
We already have Figure Friend and Figure Fabuland, (and more?)

May I suggest something like this:
Figure Bionicle
Figure Bionicle Accessory
Figure Bionicle Weapon
(2022-05-31, 19:15)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely not Minifig either.

Figure Bionicle
Figure Bionicle Weapon

Then I would argue that the droid/cyborg/mechanical/skeleton parts should be changed to Figure as well since none of those use the Minifig torso/legs
(2022-05-31, 19:28)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Then I would argue that the droid/cyborg/mechanical/skeleton parts should be changed to Figure as well since none of those use the Minifig torso/legs

All of those live in the same "minifig universe", but I don't see that the Bionicle figures do.
But maybe they do? In a different world. Many of the sets with these figures use regular lego system bricks.

I wouldn't object if they ended up in the minifg category.
(2022-05-31, 20:52)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]All of those live in the same "minifig universe", but I don't see that the Bionicle figures do.
But maybe they do? In a different world. Many of the sets with these figures use regular lego system bricks.

I wouldn't object if they ended up in the minifg category.

Looking at that link, they look very much like the droids that are already in the Minifig category so I think Minifig with a Bionicle keyword is the most appropriate

Figure Bionicle
Figure Bionicle Weapon

Like this a lot! "Minifig Weapon Staff Whenua" is just ridiculous.

w.
(2022-05-31, 21:03)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at that link, they look very much like the droids that are already in the Minifig category so I think Minifig with a Bionicle keyword is the most appropriate
I think so too. I could live with a special category, but to create one for just a handful of parts seems wasteful
(2022-06-01, 6:07)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Like this a lot! "Minifig Weapon Staff Whenua" is just ridiculous.

w.

It's Bionicle, the names are ridiculous. I'm open to a better, not overly wordy base description if you come up with one.

Figure Bionicle
Figure Bionicle Weapon

This makes sense to me. These parts are no more Minifig than they are Technic. But they are figures of some type, so let's use the established category for figures.
(2022-06-01, 13:18)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]It's Bionicle, the names are ridiculous. I'm open to a better, not overly wordy base description if you come up with one.

Figure Bionicle Weapon Staff Whenua, maybe?

w.
(2022-06-01, 15:42)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Figure Bionicle Weapon Staff Whenua, maybe?

w.

Why is "Figure Bionicle" better than "Minifig"? If droids and skeletons are Minifigs then so are these.
(2022-06-01, 15:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Why is "Figure Bionicle" better than "Minifig"? If droids and skeletons are Minifigs then so are these.

To me, it's really as simple as: because they are Bionicle figure parts, and they are not minifig parts.

(If the above statement isn't true, then of course they could go under minifig. Do these parts work together with minifig parts? Can one build a minifig with them?)
(2022-06-01, 16:52)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]To me, it's really as simple as: because they are Bionicle figure parts, and they are not minifig parts.

(If the above statement isn't true, then of course they could go under minifig. Do these parts work together with minifig parts? Can one build a minifig with them?)

Can you "build a minifig" with the Star Wars battle droids?
Also, in the case of the weapons, they are usable by minifigs and fit minifig hands.

Anyway, they'll stay in Minifig. If we want to recategorize, let's do that but somebody needs to do the legwork for the rest of the non-minifig figure parts.
(2022-06-01, 17:37)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Can you "build a minifig" with the Star Wars battle droids?
Also, in the case of the weapons, they are usable by minifigs and fit minifig hands.

Right, same question would apply. (I don't know the answer, as I've never built with either of these parts. So I offer only the question.)

Quote:Anyway, they'll stay in Minifig. If we want to recategorize, let's do that but somebody needs to do the legwork for the rest of the non-minifig figure parts.

Oh, I thought we were recategorizing them. If they were already in minifig I'm not sure I'd worry (it's not like I did before reading this thread). :-)
(2022-06-02, 0:11)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I thought we were recategorizing them. If they were already in minifig I'm not sure I'd worry (it's not like I did before reading this thread). :-)

We were, from "Technic" to "Minifig" based on the precedence established by the battle droid/skeleton parts. I'm not opposed to using "Figure" in the future but we will need to recategorize the other parts that don't use the standard minifig hip/torso connection at the same time. If someone wants to do the research and get those to me before the July update, I'll be more than happy to upload and fast track them.
(2022-05-31, 16:59)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]This is the perfect moment to start a serious discussion if Bionacle should be considered LEGO at all! Big Grin

w.

I would take that as a personal insult