LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Tildes in Primitives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For reference:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../clh6c.dat

I'm not certain that tildes are right for use in primitive descriptions. Lots of primitives are built from other primitives. None of them have tildes.

Thoughts?
(2022-01-18, 5:15)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]For reference:

I'm not certain that tildes are right for use in primitive descriptions. Lots of primitives are built from other primitives. None of them have tildes.

Thoughts?

It makes some sense to tilde primitives that can't normally be used directly in part or subpart. But I'm pretty sure that the need to do so will happen (or already happened!) So it must remain just a hint.

Thoughts?

The tilde should be used for primitive “subparts” with no single use outside its parent parts. At least I think so.
That's my part.

I used the tilde because I considerd the "Finger" to be the main primitive to be used in a part.

The single side is not of so much use directly in a part and as it is common for the related "fingers" I used a tilde in front.
I would like to rephrase that:
"The tilde should be used for primitive “subparts” with no single use outside its parent primitive."

How about a redesign of all the click lock and finger primitives?
I think we have removed the soft edge/corners on one of them, and I remember one containing a reduced resolution on the locking mechanism.
(2022-01-18, 16:45)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]How about a redesign of all the click lock and finger primitives?
I think we have removed the soft edge/corners on one of them, and I remember one containing a reduced resolution on the locking mechanism.

As I did the clh6x, I can have a look a the rest of them as well.
(2022-01-18, 21:00)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]As I did the clh6x, I can have a look a the rest of them as well.

I think, maybe, some things can be further generalized and reused. I'm still not convinced the tilde is needed or necessary in either case
(2022-01-24, 17:22)Max Martin Richter Wrote: [ -> ]Yes for sure, but I wonder, cause some of my mentioned files are just a quarter of the frame and so on. The logo itself is a primitive, that’s clear in my eyes.

Could we please continue the discussion about the 'primitve subparts' and the tilde? Simply take them as prims or add a tilde in front to make them invisible?
(2022-02-03, 19:42)Max Martin Richter Wrote: [ -> ]Could we please continue the discussion about the 'primitve subparts' and the tilde? Simply take them as prims or add a tilde in front to make them invisible?

Invisible to whom?
The average model builder, or user, never need them, but all part authors should find and use them.
(2022-02-03, 19:42)Max Martin Richter Wrote: [ -> ]Could we please continue the discussion about the 'primitve subparts' and the tilde? Simply take them as prims or add a tilde in front to make them invisible?

I'm opposed. They don't need to be "hidden" for anyone. Regular users don't see them and part authors may find them useful.
(2022-02-03, 22:20)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I'm opposed. They don't need to be "hidden" for anyone. Regular users don't see them and part authors may find them useful.
Makes sense, agreed! I do have several such primitives (in https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptscan.cgi...ope=header), if we all agree I can edit them.
(2022-02-03, 22:02)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Invisible to whom?
The average model builder, or user, never need them, but all part authors should find and use them.

Invisible is not the right wording. Maybe can define it as: The tilde in front of a primitive description shows the part authors, that this is a subprimitve.
(2022-02-04, 13:07)Max Martin Richter Wrote: [ -> ]Invisible is not the right wording. Maybe can define it as: The tilde in front of a primitive description shows the part authors, that this is a subprimitve.
But I can see situations where those "subprimitives" will be used directly in parts or subparts, so distinction is a bit artificial.

Thoughts?

The consensus is no tildes in primitives. Therefore, they will be removed
(2022-02-04, 13:43)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]But I can see situations where those "subprimitives" will be used directly in parts or subparts, so distinction is a bit artificial.

I can see the logic of the tilde for sub-primitives, but I think it would need to be reflected in having a p\s\ subdirectory so that the usage is clear to part authors.

For cases where the sub-primitive is used directly as a primitive, it should be copied in the main p\ directory, I guess?

If that feels redundant or superfluous, then I'd consider it an argument against using the tilde.