LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Help required using LDCad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I hope that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. Two things;
1.  Using LDCad how do i upload missing items or new items? 
2.  Can anyone help me with manipulating Pneumatic pipes as I install them. I can place them ok at either end and lengthen them using the small balls, but can't work out how to move the pipe through or around obsticals!!

Thank you in advance for any help and please be aware that any explanation will have to be dumbed down to my level!!!!!!

Cheers Martin Smile
(2021-12-16, 8:28)Martin Stockton Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I hope that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. Two things;
1.  Using LDCad how do i upload missing items or new items? 
2.  Can anyone help me with manipulating Pneumatic pipes as I install them. I can place them ok at either end and lengthen them using the small balls, but can't work out how to move the pipe through or around obsticals!!

Thank you in advance for any help and please be aware that any explanation will have to be dumbed down to my level!!!!!!

Cheers Martin Smile

With regard to the pneumatic hoses, have you seen Roland's excellent description on his Advanced editing page of the LDCAD website? Scroll down to the section titled "Dynamic Parts". The first section describes manipulating rubber bands. Read this section even though you want to manipulate pneumatic hoses. The next section then describes manipulating pneumatic hoses.

Regards,

David
(2021-12-16, 8:28)Martin Stockton Wrote: [ -> ]1.  Using LDCad how do i upload missing items or new items? 

Do you mean adding new or missing parts to build with in LDCad? The program will search for parts in any of the locations listed under Prefs->LDraw->Search (library) paths. You can add new parts to any folder you like, and then add that folder to this list (if it's not already there) as an "unofficial library". Just be sure it has the necessary subfolders of p\ and parts\ and that any required subparts are placed in parts\s\.
(2021-12-16, 9:16)David Manley Wrote: [ -> ]With regard to the pneumatic hoses, have you seen Roland's excellent description on his Advanced editing page of the LDCAD website? Scroll down to the section titled "Dynamic Parts". The first section describes manipulating rubber bands. Read this section even though you want to manipulate pneumatic hoses. The next section then describes manipulating pneumatic hoses.

Regards,

David

Thank you very much for pointing me in this direction, it has helped no end. I just need to practice now!!
Regards Martin.
(2021-12-16, 15:48)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean adding new or missing parts to build with in LDCad? The program will search for parts in any of the locations listed under Prefs->LDraw->Search (library) paths. You can add new parts to any folder you like, and then add that folder to this list (if it's not already there) as an "unofficial library". Just be sure it has the necessary subfolders of p\ and parts\ and that any required subparts are placed in parts\s\.

Hi, yes I am trying to find various parts, for example the half round barrels of the new cement mixer truck and the 1 x 2 x 3 technic panels on the Mclaren senna. There are more that I have come across, so I need help very dumbed down so I can follow it!!
Thank you very much for all your help and any further help you may give me?
Regards Martin. Smile
Either you download the whole unofficial.zip from time to time or do this:

If you need certain parts that are only unofficially available (AND you use teh default directories) you can use LDView to update your unofficial files with an ease.

Create a .ldr file with the lines that contain your missing parts:

1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 [missing.dat]

Open the file with LDView, and let LDView do the update. If this is not switch on, go to preferences -> Updates and tick "Automatically check for missing parts"
THis will download these files into the unofficial folder.

Once you start LDCad now, these files are available (given the unofficial path is admiinistered in LDCad)
(2021-12-19, 16:03)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]Either you download the whole unofficial.zip from time to time or do this:

If you need certain parts that are only unofficially available (AND you use teh default directories) you can use LDView to update your unofficial files with an ease.

Create a .ldr file with the lines that contain your missing parts:

1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 [missing.dat]

Open the file with LDView, and let LDView do the update. If this is not switch on, go to preferences -> Updates and tick "Automatically check for missing parts"
THis will download these files into the unofficial folder.

Once you start LDCad now, these files are available (given the unofficial path is admiinistered in LDCad)

Thanks for your help but I need it to be really simple! Can you please tell me how to download the whole unofficial.zip. This sounds my best solution but I don't know where to start!! Undecided 

Many thanks again Martin. Its even taken me an age to work out using this forum!!!!!!!!!!
(2021-12-20, 7:08)Martin Stockton Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your help but I need it to be really simple! Can you please tell me how to download the whole unofficial.zip. This sounds my best solution but I don't know where to start!! Undecided 

Many thanks again Martin. Its even taken me an age to work out using this forum!!!!!!!!!!

Go Here:
https://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

Click on the "Download All Unofficial Files" link
Save the zip file in your ldraw folder
Open up LDCad
Go to Prefs->LDraw->Search (library) Paths
In the dialog the opens, click "New" on the right-hand side
Select the new entry that just appeared
Up at the top, next to the Location text box, click "Browse Archive"
Navigate to where you saved the ldrawunf.zip, select it, and click open
The path to ldrawunf.zip should now appear in the Location text box
Click Accept at the bottom
Close and restart LDCad to reload the library

Please note:
"These are unofficial parts. They may be incomplete, or inaccurate, and it is possible that when they are officially released they may be changed in ways that could mess up any model you use them in. This is far more likely for Held parts than Certified parts."
[attachment=7261 Wrote:Orion Pobursky pid='44063' dateline='1640062830']Hi and thanks for your help. I have followed this as best as I can and something major seems to have gone wrong!! Now when I open LDCad I just get a screen full of red stars that dont turn into the models I have done. I have included a document of a screen shot showing this. Please help as I am scared to death that I may have lost an important design.
Regards Martin. Huh
Go Here:
https://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

Click on the "Download All Unofficial Files" link
Save the zip file in your ldraw folder
Open up LDCad
Go to Prefs->LDraw->Search (library) Paths
In the dialog the opens, click "New" on the right-hand side
Select the new entry that just appeared
Up at the top, next to the Location text box, click "Browse Archive"
Navigate to where you saved the ldrawunf.zip, select it, and click open
The path to ldrawunf.zip should now appear in the Location text box
Click Accept at the bottom
Close and restart LDCad to reload the library

Please note:
"These are unofficial parts. They may be incomplete, or inaccurate, and it is possible that when they are officially released they may be changed in ways that could mess up any model you use them in. This is far more likely for Held parts than Certified parts."
YOur file should be fine, looks like LDCad cannot locate the parts.

How do your search path look like?

Prefs -> LDraw -> Search (library) paths

Are there proper directories with parts behind them?
(2021-12-21, 12:18)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]YOur file should be fine, looks like LDCad cannot locate the parts.

How do your search path look like?

Prefs -> LDraw -> Search (library) paths

Are there proper directories with parts behind them?

Hi Gerald, I found a folder that said 'complete' so I opened that and it has put all the parts back on!! phew!!!!! If I now use LDCad if I have loaded some new items on where will I find them?
Regards Martin. Smile
Hi Gerald, I found a folder that said 'complete' so I opened that and it has put all the parts back on!! phew!!!!! If I now use LDCad if I have loaded some new items on where will I find them?

Regards Martin.  Smile
(2021-12-23, 17:37)Martin Stockton Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Gerald, I found a folder that said 'complete' so I opened that and it has put all the parts back on!! phew!!!!! If I now use LDCad if I have loaded some new items on where will I find them?

Regards Martin.  Smile

Hi Gerald, thank you so much for your help, it has really sorted me out. My daughter was here the other day and has helped me to load the extra parts so all is good. Hope you had a good christmas and all the best for the new year!
Regards Martin.
I made a short tutorial (with pictures!) in case you get lost doing this again

https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/How_to_Add_U...s_in_LDCad
(2021-12-29, 18:54)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I made a short tutorial (with pictures!) in case you get lost doing this again

https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/How_to_Add_U...s_in_LDCad

That's mega. I have printed it off for future reference.

Thanks Again Martin.