LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: From Willy: Define a standard for helper parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2021-08-20, 7:13)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking about I would put the 2D/3D qualifier right after "Helper":

|Helper 2D Arrow
|Helper 2D Letter "w"
|Helper 3D Arrow Straight 2L
|Helper 3D Easy Rotation
|Helper 3D PovRay Light
|Helper 3D LSynth Constraint Part - Type 1 - "Hose"

As for the name how about a mix of name and consecutive number:

Helper0001.dat
Helper0002.dat
Helper9999.dat

w.

Nice idea. I agree both with Descriptions and names.
Plus, I'd add CATEGORY (Helper) because why make those parts "homeless" if we know where they belong to? And we can use this information easily later. For example the definition of an editor part bin "CATEGORY == Helper" is easier than by "Helper" in descriptions, preceded by "|", "~|" or nothing (which needs regular expressions or so).
(2021-08-20, 7:34)Willy Tschager Wrote: [ -> ]I'm fine with this but I'd like to see no regular submission by the user to the PT but proxy/fast-track by the PT admin. At least that will guarantee the naming is correct.

However to get a some sort of standard I suggest that at least numbers and letters should fit into a grid, say have the height of a Brick 1x1 or 2x2 ... hmm this calls for a scaling tool in the editors as the casual user is not able to work on the matrix. Wait, maybe he is:

http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/advanced4...ml#scaling

but a scaling tool would be awesome anyway.

w.

Yes, for ease of packaging into  Parts Update these should go through the Parts Tracker, but I don't have a problem with doing proxy submit and fast-track.
(2021-08-20, 8:03)Milan Vančura Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, I'd add CATEGORY (Helper) because why make those parts "homeless" if we know where they belong to? And we can use this information easily later. For example the definition of an editor part bin "CATEGORY == Helper" is easier than by "Helper" in descriptions, preceded by "|", "~|" or nothing (which needs regular expressions or so).

From the !CATEGORY and !KEYWORDS spec:

Quote:If a part has no !CATEGORY meta-statement, the category is assumed to be the first word in the part name (ie. the first word of the first line of the part file).

There should be no need for an explicit !CATEGORY meta-statment based on the proposed names. It will automatically be in the Helper category. I don't use LDCad, but hopefully it already correctly implements this behavior. If CATEGORY == <Whatever> does not work in LDCad for parts without an explicit !CATEGORY meta-statement, then I would suggest requesting that LDCad be fixed.
(2021-08-19, 17:10)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]Should the filenames perhaps reflect the fact that these aren't LEGO parts? In other words, even though these are in the parts directory, is there any particular reason that the filenames should be predominantly numbers? Or should we instead include somewhat descriptive filenames?

As the current Helper have to reworked anyway using the description also as name such as:

Helper3DEasyRotation.dat

would indeed add some value.

w.
I started a page to track our discussions about the spec with the intent of having a fully formed proposal for the LSB to vote on when we are done.
https://www.ldraw.org/draft-documents/helper-parts.html
(2021-08-18, 23:57)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]No Edges on 2D helpers.
Why forbid that, Isn't it up to the 'style' of the (e.g.) arrow collection to include edges or not.

As for the naming it might be an idea to put them in a new subfolder (along side parts and p), e.g. 'helper' and reference them in models like "helper\blabla.dat"
(2021-08-20, 20:05)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]There should be no need for an explicit !CATEGORY meta-statment based on the proposed names. It will automatically be in the Helper category. I don't use LDCad, but hopefully it already correctly implements this behavior. If CATEGORY == <Whatever> does not work in LDCad for parts without an explicit !CATEGORY meta-statement, then I would suggest requesting that LDCad be fixed.

About LDCAD: I don't know, I'm not the author... I thought it generally (as having some years of experience with databases): if some meta information is static in time, it's always a benefit to mention it clearly as an extra field, for practical reasons. Just my 2 cents for this brainstorming.
(2021-08-21, 18:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Why forbid that, Isn't it up to the 'style' of the (e.g.) arrow collection to include edges or not.

This is an interesting point. What about this rule instead: "Edges must be always in the edge color. If the author's idea is to have them in the main color, they (edges) should be omit instead."
(2021-08-21, 18:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]As for the naming it might be an idea to put them in a new subfolder (along side parts and p), e.g. 'helper' and reference them in models like "helper\blabla.dat"

+1

w.
(2021-08-21, 18:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Why forbid that, Isn't it up to the 'style' of the (e.g.) arrow collection to include edges or not.

It's difficult discussing about taste but I would say to differenciate a 2D helper from 3D and to be in line with "very" flat parts such as sticker.

w.
Pages: 1 2 3 4