LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDView crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to load Datsville:

https://github.com/mjhorvath/Datsville/t...lle_source

The program simply crashes silently to desktop while loading the model. No error message or log file as far as I can tell.

LDView 4.3
(2021-04-13, 17:20)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to load Datsville:

https://github.com/mjhorvath/Datsville/t...lle_source

The program simply crashes silently to desktop while loading the model. No error message or log file as far as I can tell.

LDView 4.3

I suspect it's running out of memory. I was able to open it with a 4.4 beta on my Mac, but Mac has 32 GB of RAM. Also, even though I could open the model, it was basically unusable (many seconds per frame, instead of frames per second).
(2021-04-13, 22:54)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect it's running out of memory. I was able to open it with a 4.4 beta on my Mac, but Mac has 32 GB of RAM. Also, even though I could open the model, it was basically unusable (many seconds per frame, instead of frames per second).

Do you mean video RAM or system RAM? I have 16GB system RAM and I did not see usage spike very high. Normally I get between 1 and 2 FPS.
(2021-04-14, 5:06)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean video RAM or system RAM? I have 16GB system RAM and I did not see usage spike very high. Normally I get between 1 and 2 FPS.

I kind of meant system RAM (hence mentioning it working on my 32GB system), but video RAM could also cause problems. You might try setting the "Memory usage" setting to "Low" if you have not already done that, and also enabling Low quality studs. Note that setting memory usage to low should decrease both system and video RAM usage.
(2021-04-14, 18:05)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]I kind of meant system RAM (hence mentioning it working on my 32GB system), but video RAM could also cause problems. You might try setting the "Memory usage" setting to "Low" if you have not already done that, and also enabling Low quality studs. Note that setting memory usage to low should decrease both system and video RAM usage.

Does using the "Low" setting also decrease the framerate? It seems I am getting considerably lower FPS now than a few days ago. Though maybe something in the model changed.
(2021-04-15, 0:05)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Does using the "Low" setting also decrease the framerate? It seems I am getting considerably lower FPS now than a few days ago. Though maybe something in the model changed.

It would be expected to reduce the framerate on typical models. On extremely large models, it's very system-dependent.
The problem ended up being that I turned edge lines on. Edge lines + geometry = too much for my PC to handle. I turned edge lines off and the model was able to load again. Probably GPU RAM.