LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Installation page incomplete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I am flummoxed. I am trying to get LDraw installed & running on a late-2013 Mac using HighSierra 10.13.6.

I have used MLCad on windows for years, but haven't bothered to do a manual LDraw update in a long time.

In reading the "Getting Started:Mac" page, I see that clicking either link in Step 1 takes me to the "Latest Parts" page, which tells me absolutely nothing about using or installing LDraw on a Mac. 

If I were a parent, or an AFOL new to this system, I would leave and never return. I would probably also tell others in my community not to bother with LDraw as it doesn't work.

Even if I could figure out that I needed to download & expand the complete.zip file, doing so leaves me with a bunch of files that I have no idea what to do with. So I am again at a point where I give up and leave.

Can someone expand Step 1 so that there are complete & USEABLE instructions for a Mac installation post-download? Perhaps Allen Smith & Willy Tschager could work on a MacOS AIOI? I would be happy to beta test the instructions or the installer.

I am a longtime member of BayLUG and the Bricks by the Bay convention staff. Most of my MOCs are dioramas (circus, farm/ranch) though I do have some larger buildings.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice. 
Stay home and stay safe. Play Well.
(2020-05-30, 22:19)Paul Sinasohn Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.

I am flummoxed. I am trying to get LDraw installed & running on a late-2013 Mac using HighSierra 10.13.6.

I have used MLCad on windows for years, but haven't bothered to do a manual LDraw update in a long time.

In reading the "Getting Started:Mac" page, I see that clicking either link in Step 1 takes me to the "Latest Parts" page, which tells me absolutely nothing about using or installing LDraw on a Mac. 

If I were a parent, or an AFOL new to this system, I would leave and never return. I would probably also tell others in my community not to bother with LDraw as it doesn't work.

Even if I could figure out that I needed to download & expand the complete.zip file, doing so leaves me with a bunch of files that I have no idea what to do with. So I am again at a point where I give up and leave.

Can someone expand Step 1 so that there are complete & USEABLE instructions for a Mac installation post-download? Perhaps Allen Smith & Willy Tschager could work on a MacOS AIOI? I would be happy to beta test the instructions or the installer.

I am a longtime member of BayLUG and the Bricks by the Bay convention staff. Most of my MOCs are dioramas (circus, farm/ranch) though I do have some larger buildings.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice. 
Stay home and stay safe. Play Well.

I'm not sure I understand…the first step in installing LDraw on a Mac is indeed to download the latest parts package, which is what's described in Step 1.

Step 2 is to download an editor; the only one currently native to Mac is Bricksmith…and so forth. So the instructions are pretty complete, it's just that there's not much for the Mac system on LDraw, so there's not much to instruct. :-)

That said, you can run a lot of the Windows programs on a Mac using Wine, at least imperfectly. Are you thinking it would help to have some instructions on that process?