LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Curved Sine Wave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm authoring the following pattern:
[Image: 25269pb001__81269.1538605146.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on]
The part is almost ready except that I'm not satisfied with the curved sine wave on the round border.
I'm sure there is a way to do it better using an appropriate tool but I don't know which one. Would you have any suggestions on how to design it?

Here are my files so far.
Maybe something like this?
Create a centre point. Split the longer sides. "Action/Split N-times"
Set the Manipulator on the centre vertex. Select all the vertices around and Rotate the surface.
[attachment=5217]
Hi Vincent,

here's a small spreadsheet that calculates a sinus wave, unfortunately it is not very flexible, but it might get you the idea

I have attached the result as well.
[attachment=5222]

Let me know if you want a different amplitude

Gerald
Thanks to both of you! I like learning new techniques  Smile
(2020-05-14, 18:55)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Vincent,

here's a small spreadsheet that calculates a sinus wave, unfortunately it is not very flexible, but it might get you the idea

I have attached the result as well.

Let me know if you want a different amplitude

Gerald

Thanks for the spreadsheet, it helps for sure.
I found the line too thick so I modified the width to 0.25 and amplitude to 0.375

I will submit this on PT now.
Thanks to have authoring this part, I need 2 of it for the set 10255 - Assembly Square.

A question about the color choice. How do you choose the right color ?
Usually, I use a scanner and a small tool to found the right color. For this part the pink area is closer magenta with this method.
(2020-05-15, 6:57)Vincent Messenet Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to both of you! I like learning new techniques  Smile

Thanks for authoring this. I've updated my Modular Buildings missing parts list. 
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23992.html
(2020-05-15, 12:29)Marc Giraudet Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to have authoring this part, I need 2 of it for the set 10255 - Assembly Square.

A question about the color choice. How do you choose the right color ?
Usually, I use a scanner and a small tool to found the right color. For this part the pink area is closer magenta with this method.

To be honest I rely on my sight and I compare Ldraw colors with pattern pictures.
But indeed I have some doubts about the colors I used for that part.
(2020-05-15, 6:57)Vincent Messenet Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to both of you! I like learning new techniques  Smile

It's always good and welcome to exchange ideas!
(2020-05-15, 15:39)Vincent Messenet Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I rely on my sight and I compare Ldraw colors with pattern pictures.
But indeed I have some doubts about the colors I used for that part.

I made a second test and I agree your choice, dark pink instead of magenta.

[attachment=5242]