LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Problem exporting model to ldd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2020-04-21, 1:33)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see an attachment?
ok, let me try it again.

One more question: how do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad? And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?
(2020-04-21, 2:12)Moe Wrote: [ -> ]ok, let me try it again.

Got it! Well, everything looks OK on the LDraw side—looks like you've solved the submodel issue. So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

Just in some cursory web searching, I see there are issues with EV3 parts, specifically, being absent from more recent versions of LDD (here's one example). The workaround, unfortunately, seems to be to try and find an older install that you can revert to, or just switch altogether to a program that's still actively developed.
(2020-04-21, 2:34)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Got it! Well, everything looks OK on the LDraw side—looks like you've solved the submodel issue. So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

Just in some cursory web searching, I see there are issues with EV3 parts, specifically, being absent from more recent versions of LDD (here's one example). The workaround, unfortunately, seems to be to try and find an older install that you can revert to, or just switch altogether to a program that's still actively developed.
Yes, I did solve the sub model issue, thanks to you all and your super fast response. And yes LDD 4.12 has an issue with EV3 support so I had to downgrade to version 4.11 which has EV3 support. I guess I'm gonna have to talk to my professor about submitting the ldr file as is.
One more question:
                               How do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad?
                               And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?
(2020-04-21, 2:46)Moe Wrote: [ -> ]One more question:
                               How do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad?
                               And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?

I don't know how you'd do it in LDD, honestly. But in LDCad that's a job for flexible parts, which you'll find in the Templates group in the part bin. For how to use them, they're introduced here (scroll down to "Dynamic Parts"; electric cables work the same way as the pneumatic hoses), and there are handy videos on YouTube.

If you could use Studio rather than LDD, the LDCad flexible parts can definitely be exported over to that program.
(2020-04-21, 5:16)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know how you'd do it in LDD, honestly. But in LDCad that's a job for flexible parts, which you'll find in the Templates group in the part bin. For how to use them, they're introduced here (scroll down to "Dynamic Parts"; electric cables work the same way as the pneumatic hoses), and there are handy videos on YouTube.

If you could use Studio rather than LDD, the LDCad flexible parts can definitely be exported over to that program.
OK, I will check it out. Thanks a lot for all your help in this, and for the quick responses. I have never been in a forum where my questions are promptly answered and clear solutions provided. You guys are amazing. Special thanks to you N.W. Perry.
(2020-04-21, 5:39)Moe Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I will check it out. Thanks a lot for all your help in this, and for the quick responses. I have never been in a forum where my questions are promptly answered and clear solutions provided. You guys are amazing. Special thanks to you N.W. Perry.

You're very welcome! This forum has always helped me in just the same way—and still does!—so I'm glad to pass on whatever advice I can. And your model looks pretty cool too, by the way. Smile
(2020-04-21, 5:46)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]You're very welcome! This forum has always helped me in just the same way—and still does!—so I'm glad to pass on whatever advice I can. And your model looks pretty cool too, by the way. Smile
Thank you. Now I got to make it draw some basic geometric figures. Do you by any chance know a good place to to find resources on velocity kinematic? My apologies for going off topic on this thread.
(2020-04-21, 2:34)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

I can think of two issues not mentioned yet.

Do you have a fresh copy of the file "ldraw.xml" in your LDD program folder?
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/
If there's no translation formula in that file, ldd will remove your part.

Have you used an "illegal" mounting method in your assembly?
Some assemblies we do IRL, and in LDCad, is not accepted in LDD, and the part is removed.
(2020-04-21, 16:14)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]I can think of two issues not mentioned yet.

Do you have a fresh copy of the file "ldraw.xml" in your LDD program folder?
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/
If there's no translation formula in that file, ldd will remove your part.

Have you used an "illegal" mounting method in your assembly?
Some assemblies we do IRL, and in LDCad, is not accepted in LDD, and the part is removed.
I’m not sure. I’m gonna have to check that out. I’m checking the link now. Will report back later.
(2020-04-21, 2:12)Moe Wrote: [ -> ]ok, let me try it again.

Many of the axle pins are rotated wrong, some pins are not inline with the beams they connected to. These kinds of parts will be dropped by LDD.

You should really use part snapping with these kinds of models. To do so change the red GS into a green PS inside the compass, or use shift+p while the mouse is inside the editing area.

To correct the model you would need to grab and realign (using snapping) each part one by one.

Luckily you have included building steps so you can realign things from the bottom up while hiding everything else.
Pages: 1 2 3