LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: SVG export from LDCAD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2020-03-01, 13:40)Stefan Frenz Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know, Blender has a Wavefront OBJ import feature. If you like to give LDInspector a try, I would appreciate feedback for the LDInspector-integrated ldr/mpd-to-OBJ converter - this would be a one-way-path for ldr/mpd => obj => Blender.

I am not creating models for the OMR, so I am not sure LDInspector would be appropriate. MPDCenter for instance spawned hundreds of popup error messages such that it was totally unusable with Datsville.
(2020-03-02, 0:49)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Datsville.
I searched a bit, but couldn't find a ldr/mpd file to test (I got something 2000-2014, sourceforge- and github-links seem to be removed, other links required an account). Can you please provide a link or a file? So I would try the conversion...
(2020-03-02, 8:51)Stefan Frenz Wrote: [ -> ]I searched a bit, but couldn't find a ldr/mpd file to test (I got something 2000-2014, sourceforge- and github-links seem to be removed, other links required an account). Can you please provide a link or a file? So I would try the conversion...

Yeah, I closed the GitHub project. I felt dumb working by myself on what was supposed to be a collaborative project. I can PM you a download link.
(2020-03-02, 14:55)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]I can PM you a download link.
Thanks for providing the current version. The rendering works fine even for non-OMR-compliant files - even with mirrored parts or references to other files that are mpds or ldrs (and not parts), with two little more lines of code even if they are not in the LDraw-typical directory structure. Also the Wavefront-OBJ-export works.

But the generated OBJ files are large. Very large. So on my (some years old) machine Blender imports those files only after loooooong minutes of waiting. For a single model this might be ok, but I doubt that it will work for the complete city...
(2020-03-03, 10:48)Stefan Frenz Wrote: [ -> ]Also the Wavefront-OBJ-export works.

Apparently, Windows 10 has a model viewer built in! Anyway, it looks pretty good, except the transparent parts are not transparent.

I still have to determine exactly how much more RAM a Wavefront version of Datsville would require. (I am concerned less about hard drive space.)
(2020-03-03, 13:40)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Windows 10 has a model viewer built in!
Good to know - having Linux I tested with g3dviewer. Wink

(2020-03-03, 13:40)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]except the transparent parts are not transparent
Hm, I export with "d" material option, but indeed g3dviewer does not show the transparent materials transparently - neither with "d" nor with "Tr" material option. Sad

To check your viewer, could you replace "d ...." with "Tr ...." in the material file and report? It's defined to be inverse transparency (d=1-Tr) and some viewers only use one of them. Or if you have a Wavefront OBJ file with working transparency, I would adopt the transparency definition therein.
Pages: 1 2