LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Studio rendering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently discovered that Studio's Eyesight renderer is a repackaged version of Blender's Cycles renderer. Maybe we could have some enterprising LDrawer write a true converter so that we don't have to deal with Studio's idiosyncrasies? In the interim, there's also Mechabrick's free Blender plugin (that I also recently discovered).
(2020-02-24, 15:26)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I recently discovered that Studio's Eyesight renderer is a repackaged version of Blender's Cycles renderer. Maybe we could have some enterprising LDrawer write a true converter so that we don't have to deal with Studio's idiosyncrasies? In the interim, there's also Mechabrick's free Blender plugin (that I also recently discovered).

From what I read in some of Nicolas' tweets, it is that BL did acquire his Blender add-on
https://twitter.com/Mecabricks/status/11...2709588992
(2020-02-24, 16:45)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]From what I read in some of Nicolas' tweets, it is that BL did acquire his Blender add-on
https://twitter.com/Mecabricks/status/11...2709588992

Hmm. That makes me even less impressed with Studio (which was already low to begin with).
(2020-02-24, 15:26)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I recently discovered that Studio's Eyesight renderer is a repackaged version of Blender's Cycles renderer. Maybe we could have some enterprising LDrawer write a true converter so that we don't have to deal with Studio's idiosyncrasies? In the interim, there's also Mechabrick's free Blender plugin (that I also recently discovered).
Studio does have idiosyncrasies, but direct use of Blender is not for the fainthearted either... See https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22780.html
I had the same thought the other day; glad I'm not the only one! At this point, rendering is the only thing in my process that I have to do outside of LDCad.
(2020-02-24, 17:09)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Studio does have idiosyncrasies, but direct use of Blender is not for the fainthearted either... See https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22780.html

Yes but Cycles is separable from Blender. One could have a more community inclusive program that is basically the render section of Studio.

I might consider it for a future version of LDCad if it wasn't for the extreme lack of time I'm currently experiencing Smile
(2020-02-24, 18:26)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]I might consider it for a future version of LDCad if it wasn't for the extreme lack of time I'm currently experiencing Smile

I feel your pain. Small children are a huge time sink. I make time when I can.
What format is the export using? Or does it all work trough that plugin?

Blenders native files are very complex binary format ones, so that won't be easy to generate.

But I found some info about it supporting USD which is a plain text format, which should be relatively easy to generate as we only need a very small subset for the raw LDraw data itself.

A whole lot more effort would go into setting up all the additional material and lighting stuff. But on the plus side that would be mostly static data to be used in each rendering.
(2020-02-24, 19:54)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]What format is the export using? Or does it all work trough that plugin?

Blenders native files are very complex binary format ones, so that won't be easy to generate.

But I found some info about it supporting USD which is a plain text format, which should be relatively easy to generate as we only need a very small subset for the raw LDraw data itself.

A whole lot more effort would go into setting up all the additional material and lighting stuff. But on the plus side that would be mostly static data to be used in each rendering.

Without actually downloading and installing, I think you need to export as obj from Mecabricks and then import using Mecabrick's plugin. I can tinker a bit on my personal computer.
Pages: 1 2 3