LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Patterned parts detail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a minor debate on the PT regarding patterns that go "all the way to the edge" of the part. Specifically these 2 parts:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...70bp0n.dat
[/url][url=https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3070bp0l.dat]https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3070bp0l.dat

I have both of these part and am the author of one of them. I've looked at them and it appears the pattern does, indeed, go all the way to the curved edge. On high magification, you can see that there is a very small gap but this is negligible in my mind.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue. It's imperceptible to the end user and we have precedence for both ways. A cursory scan of part shows 8 1x2 tiles where we have patterns that abut the edge (3069bpx1, 3069bps7, 3069bpx1, 3069bps9, 3069bpf1, 3069bps4, 3069bps5, 3069bp09, 3069bp0a). I'm sure there are more examples with other part type. Whatever the part author chooses should be fine.
Lego has improved the quality of print in recent years. It is most clearly seen on the pieces in the Brickheadz sets.
They manage to get color printed closer to the edges of bricks.

To me, the issue here is the visual impression. A Tile 1x1 have a very exact size in Ldraw. 20x20 ldu.
The real parts are a tiny bit smaller. There is always a thin gap between two tiles, in real life. I know that rendering software can add this space between parts, but in most cases, in LDView, MLCad and LDCad, there is no space between parts.
If we allow the pattern to completetly cover the top surface it doesn't look right, to me.

You say "the pattern does, indeed, go all the way to the curved edge". That is exactly my main objection. This part also have a very thin curved edge. It is missing on most of the tiles. We had a similar issue on the Tile 1x1 Round. When I made that part, it had a thin curved egde, but it has been removed. That removal was easier to accept since the round tile is most often used alone. Without a neighbouring top surface, on another tile.

I don't know. Maybe this is the first example we have of a pattern jumping from one square tile to another square tile.
And it doesn't look good, in my eyes.

All I want to see is that if there is a thin border around the print, it must be modelled.
We should not simplify the making of a pattern by allowing the colored surface to go all the way to the edge, just to avoid many small or thin triangles in the model.
(2020-01-16, 22:19)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]All I want to see is that if there is a thin border around the print, it must be modelled.
We should not simplify the making of a pattern by allowing the colored surface to go all the way to the edge, just to avoid many small or thin triangles in the model.

I've attached a modified version of 3070bp0n with a 1 ldu border.

I also attached a photo I just took of 3070bp0l.dat and my scan 3070bp0n. At the risk of being flip-floppy, I kind of see your point and maybe 3070bp0l should be changed.

Anyone else want to comment? If noone else cares, I'll upload the modified version tomorrow and I'll contact Vincent to change his part.
[attachment=4664][attachment=4665]
I must say that your scans made me change my mind. Would be better with a small border...
(2020-01-16, 23:19)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]I've attached a modified version of 3070bp0n with a 1 ldu border.

I also attached a photo I just took of 3070bp0l.dat and my scan 3070bp0n. At the risk of being flip-floppy, I kind of see your point and maybe 3070bp0l should be changed.

Anyone else want to comment? If noone else cares, I'll upload the modified version tomorrow and I'll contact Vincent to change his part.

I was also convinced by your scans Smile 

I uploaded a new version of 3070bp0l on the PT with a 1 ldu border

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...70bp0l.dat