LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Thinking about doing a LDCad 1.7 version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(2020-03-16, 20:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]For what purpose? Create clean templates?

Templates will automatically exclude fallback, when using "addFallBack=default", given they are stored in a registered template location.
(2020-03-16, 20:48)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Templates will automatically exclude fallback, when using "addFallBack=default", given they are stored in a registered template location.
Wondered why it worked sometimes... Location!
(2020-03-16, 19:32)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Not the same but related:
Is there a way to turn off the generation of fallback code and remove it from within LDCad? If not, can there be? I've been manually editing the META with LDDP because I couldn't find a way to do it inside of LDCad.

Came here to suggest something very similar, yet opposite…

Could it be an option to export only the fallback code, without the !LDCAD metas, specifically as a part (.dat) file with appropriate header? This could be used e.g. to open models with flex elements in other LDraw programs without sacrificing the higher quality of LDCad's generated mesh by using static references. (It's also necessary to view an LDCad-generated spring mesh in an external editor.)

I could see this as a third option when choosing "Duplicate subfile…", and possibly also in "Detach subfile", along with new file and new subfile in the current file.
(2020-03-31, 18:40)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be an option to export only the fallback code, without the !LDCAD metas, specifically as a part (.dat) file with appropriate header? This could be used e.g. to open models with flex elements in other LDraw programs without sacrificing the higher quality of LDCad's generated mesh by using static references. (It's also necessary to view an LDCad-generated spring mesh in an external editor.)

I could see this as a third option when choosing "Duplicate subfile…", and possibly also in "Detach subfile", along with new file and new subfile in the current file.

Whenever you drop a template on a model it asks if you want to make it part of the mpd or a separate file.

If you choose to make it a separate file and name it something .dat you should be ok most of the time.

Only possible problem is when a generated part has subparts that .dat would technically be a mpd (this is mandated by LDCad's generator).

All LDCad meta's should be transparent to other tools as they would (MUST) just skip those lines.

That said, I'm planning to make some improvements to the mpd split/joint tools for the 1.7 version.

I'll add an extra option to split generated content (with a warning about loosing the original paramters etc) to that version.
(2020-03-31, 19:31)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever you drop a template on a model it asks if you want to make it part of the mpd or a separate file.

If you choose to make it a separate file and name it something .dat you should be ok most of the time.

Only possible problem is when a generated part has subparts that .dat would technically be a mpd (this is mandated by LDCad's generator).

Interesting…how would that be different from a regular .dat file that references primitives and subparts?

Quote:All LDCad meta's should be transparent to other tools as they would (MUST) just skip those lines.

That said, I'm planning to make some improvements to the mpd split/joint tools for the 1.7 version.

I'll add an extra option to split generated content (with a warning about loosing the original paramters etc) to that version.

Yeah, I suppose technically I don't need to remove the metas, but for some reason it feels like a "cleaner" part file without them. Also, it removes the risk of the mesh being regenerated accidentally if I open the .dat file in LDCad…
(2020-04-02, 2:10)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting…how would that be different from a regular .dat file that references primitives and subparts?

None, as it becomes (to other software whom don't know the meta's) a normal LDraw file. The fact it's secretly a mpd shouldn't really matter to a parser aware of mpd rules.
This one is small:

When I use duplicate this file, can the new filename be a derivative of the old filename (ex. Head.dat -> Head-1.dat) instead of "submodel01.dat" (or whatever the default pattern is)
(2020-04-02, 21:13)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]This one is small:

When I use duplicate this file, can the new filename be a derivative of the old filename (ex. Head.dat -> Head-1.dat) instead of "submodel01.dat" (or whatever the default pattern is)
+1 !!!
Speaking of small (and +1 to the above, by the way!), here's one that may or may not be:

Would it be possible to assign quantities and colors to group references in a .pbg file, the way you can with individual parts? I use these to list composite parts (hinge assemblies, turntables and so forth) within a set inventory, but at the moment I have to create a separate .pbg for each different color of the assembly, and I can't indicate the quantity at all.

Of course, it's quite possible that there's a way to do this already and I just haven't discovered it! Wink
And similar... it would be nice if current file name was suggested when using "save as". Generally we just create a derivative of the name.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15