LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: PT links consistency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is some consistency problem on PT concerning the link texts and what they point to:
- in detail page/required/related subfiles, title text points to detail page while part_number.dat allows to download file. Perfect imho.
- in activity page, there is only a link on part_number.dat, but it points to detail page. I'd like it to download file, and get a link on title pointing to detail page
- Similar problem in parts list, i'd like part_number.dat to directly download file (and, for sake of consistency, show the .dat extension)
- I guess that file scan could/should be homogeneized too, with link to download on part_number.dat, link to detail page on part title, and link column with only the events link.

Even more nitpicking, use bold face for title in activity/list/scan pages like it is used in detail page.
Ping? Angel
(2020-01-12, 8:00)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Ping? Angel

Sorry. I read your post. I'll sit down tonight to parse your suggestions and either ask questions or make changes.
Thanks. Just wanting to make sure it got noticed ?
(2020-01-12, 21:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. Just wanting to make sure it got noticed ?

I didn't get it tonight but I will tomorrow.
(2020-01-10, 9:05)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]There is some consistency problem on PT concerning the link texts and what they point to:
- in detail page/required/related subfiles, title text points to detail page while part_number.dat allows to download file. Perfect imho.
- in activity page, there is only a link on part_number.dat, but it points to detail page. I'd like it to download file, and get a link on title pointing to detail page
- Similar problem in parts list, i'd like part_number.dat to directly download file (and, for sake of consistency, show the .dat extension)
- I guess that file scan could/should be homogeneized too, with link to download on part_number.dat, link to detail page on part title, and link column with only the events link.

Even more nitpicking, use bold face for title in activity/list/scan pages like it is used in detail page.

I'm not really sure I want to do this. I actually changed it to the way it is now when we rethemed the PT since I was tired of clicking on a link and getting the download instead of the details page. I don't really want the "part list" pages to have links that download the file unless it is explicitly marked as such. If you want download links in the "part list" pages I'd rather have a style like the file scan page.

My mind is not made up so if you (or anyone else) can come up with a better solution, I'll consider it.
I can live without direct download of file, but in lists please place the link to detail page on the description, not file name... otherwise I mess up often in the details page and wrongly download a subfile instead of accessing its details because at the upper level I just clicked on file name for accessing the details - same kind of problem as you describe Wink
(2020-01-13, 19:08)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]I can live without direct download of file, but in lists please place the link to detail page on the description, not file name... otherwise I mess up often in the details page and wrongly download a subfile instead of accessing its details because at the upper level I just clicked on file name for accessing the details - same kind of problem as you describe Wink

That's easy enough to switch around. You have pointed out some differences in how we format lists, probably as the result of the piecemeal way the PT was created. I'll try to make them have a more consistent format.
(2020-01-13, 19:38)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]That's easy enough to switch around. You have pointed out some differences in how we format lists, probably as the result of the piecemeal way the PT was created. I'll try to make them have a more consistent format.
Whilst you are making styling changes could you please re-instate the CSS "white-space: pre-wrap;" on the file titles in the parts lists? I did this once, but it seems to have gotten lost in the re-styling. Even though the titles are displayed in a proportional font (Lato), this formatting gives a hint that double spaces have been inserted where needed.