LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Tourguide or walktrough animation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2020-02-16, 20:00)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]The distance parameter is indeed a preparation on blur support in (pov) exports.

The editor doesn't have a 1st person mode, only trackball or spin control.

The camera tools in the scripts menu are helpers to initialize ldc.camera objects in animation scripts.

The walk trough animation script lets you switch from 1st to 3rd person by editing the cameraMode variable at the top.

I have probably suggested this already, but a "walk" camera mode that works like first-person shooter video games would be very nice (for my very large horizontal town models). The dev version of LDView already has this feature, but sadly the framerate is much worse than LDCad on my very old computer and video card.

Sad
(2019-12-06, 1:59)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]I liked the idea of an animated model tour from a minifig's perspective a lot (see  https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23512-po...l#pid34790)

So I made a start on a generic script for it, to be included with LDCad 1.6c

Many things can be improved, but I'm very proud on the fact this was 'doable' without finding any bugs out of the box.

Attached a demo.

Any feedback / ideas on improvements are welcome.

A appropriate (big) model for testing purposes would be appreciated too.

edit:
This animation takes over the camera during playback. You can disable/enable that by clicking the 'CAM' label in the top right session panel in animation mode.

This is nice! I really liked LD4DModeler even though I didn't get an opportunity to use it.

[edit]

Oops, I responded to this once already.
minor update, progress of a sort.
(2020-02-16, 21:40)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]I have probably suggested this already, but a "walk" camera mode that works like first-person shooter video games would be very nice (for my very large horizontal town models). The dev version of LDView already has this feature, but sadly the framerate is much worse than LDCad on my very old computer and video card.

Sad
I have discovered that by turning off number-lock, and zooming in all the way with the mouse wheel, that i can use the number pad arrows to move the camera in those directions. its only perpendicular to the camera center, so if i want to move only horizontally in partspace i need to be looking straight up or down. The increments are very small but the motion is smooth (at greater distances than zero, the increments are greater). At zero distance i can look around as if in first person. the arrows on the editing compass still work the same for more rapid repositioning of the camera in partspace.
(2020-02-16, 22:25)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]This is nice! I really liked LD4DModeler even though I didn't get an opportunity to use it.

LD4DModeler has been replaced by LD4DStudio ages ago, which is still available.
http://www.ld4dstudio.nl/

Funny is was just considering canceling the .nl domain the other day Smile

I have no idea if it works on win10, I think it should though, given you install it outside the program files folder or use the archive version.
(2019-12-06, 1:59)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]I liked the idea of an animated model tour from a minifig's perspective a lot (see  https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23512-po...l#pid34790)

So I made a start on a generic script for it, to be included with LDCad 1.6c

Many things can be improved, but I'm very proud on the fact this was 'doable' without finding any bugs out of the box.

Attached a demo.

Any feedback / ideas on improvements are welcome.

A appropriate (big) model for testing purposes would be appreciated too.

edit:
This animation takes over the camera during playback. You can disable/enable that by clicking the 'CAM' label in the top right session panel in animation mode.
Roland, i am very much interested in your walk through script project. I have an enormous lego build that i have been working on for over a year. Probably over 150,000 bricks; it is a build of a local rural town in our area.  My vision from the start was to eventually showcase it in a youtube video so it can be enjoyed by all. i am currently still putting finishing touches on it. I envision like a low drone flyover panning in both directions but any video footage would be acceptable .  I posted an earlier reply for solutions to create a video about 8 months ago but never got any real good solutions.  Yours is the first post that appears to be what i am looking for.  However i am very inexperienced at Ldraw. i mostly build in Lego digital designer and then convert to ldraw. I know the basics and that's about it. 
1) Is it possible to teach a rookie like me how to use your script?
2) Is it worth it to learn the system for a 1 time project?
3) Is there an Ldraw techie who i could hire to do a video? i would certainly consider paying someone to do this.
4) i also would be willing to pay for some ldraw training via zoom if you or anyone is interested

i am very excited to learn more about your script 
kevin

[Image: montgomery+lego+screen+grab.jpg?o=An9SZM...mb8B4&cd=i]
[Image: montgomery+lego+screen+grab+2.jpg?o=As1x...ynDqw&cd=i]
(2020-05-08, 17:07)kevlamar Wrote: [ -> ]1) Is it possible to teach a rookie like me how to use your script?
2) Is it worth it to learn the system for a 1 time project?

The script is basically an 'extra' button in the gui, the only thing you need to do is spreading the 'breadcrumbs' around in your model.

But with a very large model realtime playback might be a problem so you would need to export the animation and combine images to e.g. an avi file to get fluent playback.

To get started try this:

1. Export your LDD model to a ldr file.
2. Save the above zip to the same location and unpack it.
3. Open the ldr in LDCad
4. Drag and drop the .lua file onto LDCad to link the script to the model.
5. In the search bin (minfig with magnifying glass) search for :   tile 1x1 round pin hole
6. Use that part to map a route inside your model.
7. When you got a couple of them placed start the animation with the menu: /scripts/<your model>/Minifig tour

This all assuming your model is level grounded, if not the script would need a minor adjustment compensate for this. Let me know if it's needed as I was planning to adjust the script for it anyway sometime.
(2020-05-08, 20:06)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]The script is basically an 'extra' button in the gui, the only thing you need to do is spreading the 'breadcrumbs' around in your model.

But with a very large model realtime playback might be a problem so you would need to export the animation and combine images to e.g. an avi file to get fluent playback.

To get started try this:

1. Export your LDD model to a ldr file.
2. Save the above zip to the same location and unpack it.
3. Open the ldr in LDCad
4. Drag and drop the .lua file onto LDCad to link the script to the model.
5. In the search bin (minfig with magnifying glass) search for :   tile 1x1 round pin hole
6. Use that part to map a route inside your model.
7. When you got a couple of them placed start the animation with the menu: /scripts/<your model>/Minifig tour

This all assuming your model is level grounded, if not the script would need a minor adjustment compensate for this. Let me know if it's needed as I was planning to adjust the script for it anyway sometime.
my files are already converted to ldr so that is out of the way.  there are a few steps i will need explained further...
Step 4. and
Step 7. 

Also i dont quite understand what you are saying here ...

once i get your explanation on those steps i will probably start out practicing with with a smaller model for a while to get the hang of it before moving on the the full model. (it is not quite complete anyhow.)

Thank you so much for the help. i will keep in touch and share the results with you. I am very excited as i was beginning to resign myself to the notion that i would have to rely on making a video of my creation out of a montage of still photos. This has renewed my hope that this can be shared as an animation  Smile

kevin

(2020-05-08, 20:06)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]This all assuming your model is level grounded, if not the script would need a minor adjustment compensate for this. Let me know if it's needed as I was planning to adjust the script for it anyway sometime.

also, i am not quit sure what "level grounded" means but i am pretty certain mine is not.  It encompases various sub models and thay are situated at various heights due to the terrain going uphill so from the bottom it looks pretty ugly.  Confused

kevin
(2020-05-08, 23:32)kevlamar Wrote: [ -> ]i will need explained further...
Step 4. and Step 7.

4: Open the windows file explorer and using the mouse drag the .lua file onto the LDCad program window while your model is open in it.
7: In the top menu bar their is a 'scripting' item inside it is an item with the name of the current open file, inside that item their is an item "Minifig tour". Use that to start the animation.

(2020-05-08, 23:32)kevlamar Wrote: [ -> ]Also i dont quite understand what you are saying here

A 150 thousand part model might not be able to animate in realtime (at 25fps), you would need to lower the frame rate or export it to a collection of png files which you can combine into a movie using a video editor.
(2020-05-08, 23:32)kevlamar Wrote: [ -> ]my files are already converted to ldr so that is out of the way.  there are a few steps i will need explained further...
Step 4. and
Step 7. 

Also i dont quite understand what you are saying here ...

once i get your explanation on those steps i will probably start out practicing with with a smaller model for a while to get the hang of it before moving on the the full model. (it is not quite complete anyhow.)
Thank you so much for the help. i will keep in touch and share the results with you. I am very excited as i was beginning to resign myself to the notion that i would have to rely on making a video of my creation out of a montage of still photos. This has renewed my hope that this can be shared as an animation  Smile

kevin

this is probably the most rookie question ever, but i have been trying to figure this out for a long time and just have to ask...
"how do you do an inventory search?"  I see the little man with magnifying glass, but clicking on him just open a subcategory that has no parts in it!    i can also use the filter feature to narrow down to a certain part but i have to have the right subcategory open first.

Is the 1x1 round pin hole piece you are referring to the one with the star?

Thanks for tutoring a rookie Smile
Kevin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5