LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Some part snapping observations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

While working on the LDCad snapping info for the 1802 library I noticed a couple of issues relating to parts fitting together etc.

I thought it best to share them in a single thread for discussion / corrections.

- Window pane 30046.dat doesn't seem to fit 30044.dat, its pins are to high.

- door u9371.dat seems to be 2 ldu too small, to fit u9370, height wise

- Shouldn't the front hole in kayak 29110 be 4 or 2 ldu instead of 3 so it fits something useful?
Hi Roland,

may be not the best place to put it, but when trying to snap large parts (like Rollercoaster Rails) whenever you grap it again the alignment goes to the point where you clicked, in case you want to move it a bit, this is a bit tedious as it can move the parts quite far away where it initially wa.

Gerald
One more thing I found:

u9355.dat visually doesn't look to accept pins in the 4 front holes, once transparent you do see it should.
(2019-04-27, 14:19)Gerald Lasser Wrote: [ -> ]when trying to snap large parts (like Rollercoaster Rails) whenever you grap it again the alignment goes to the point where you clicked, in case you want to move it a bit, this is a bit tedious as it can move the parts quite far away where it initially wa.
This is by 'design' it's needed to calculate the nearest object to the mouse/part being dragged.

When part snapping is disabled, grabbing stuff will stay relative to the mouse position though.
(2019-04-27, 21:54)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]One more thing I found:

u9355.dat visually doesn't look to accept pins in the 4 front holes, once transparent you do see it should.
Not sure what you mean, the pins do fit fine? Granted, inside of casing is hugely simplified, and it would be a nightmare to mold as modeled, but functionnally it works.
(2019-04-27, 21:54)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]u9355.dat visually doesn't look to accept pins in the 4 front holes, once transparent you do see it should.

I don't understand. What's wrong?

[attachment=3573]
(2019-04-26, 21:12)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]- Window pane 30046.dat doesn't seem to fit 30044.dat, its pins are to high.

[attachment=3574]

It fits very well, but the bumps are forced to be placed offset.

(2019-04-26, 21:12)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]- door u9371.dat seems to be 2 ldu too small, to fit u9370, height wise

[attachment=3575]

Yes, looks like something is wrong. Don't have the parts, so I can't say which one is wrong.
(2019-04-28, 7:53)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand. What's wrong?

When not transparent the pin holes seem to be blocked, making the hole 2ldu less deep.
[attachment=3583]
(2019-04-28, 20:26)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]When not transparent the pin holes seem to be blocked, making the hole 2ldu less deep.

That's an optical illusion.
Since you can't tell how deep the hole is, the larger edge primitive at the bottom is invisible, you think it isn't deep enough.

But why is this an issue? The connect-primitives do connect to the conhole-primitives allright, don't they?
(2019-04-28, 21:34)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]But why is this an issue? The connect-primitives do connect to the conhole-primitives allright, don't they?

Just an observation, my 2cts, etc.

It's because of those primitives I noticed the issue, as it visually looks to not accept a pin at all.

This because conhole3.dat lacks the 2nd 8 ldu cylinder to allow a pin to decompress.

This 8 ldu cylinder is modeled in the part though, but seems to be visually blocked by a quad or maybe it's rotated 180 degrees?

Anyway just wanted to let people know.
(2019-04-28, 21:34)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]That's an optical illusion.
Since you can't tell how deep the hole is, the larger edge primitive at the bottom is invisible, you think it isn't deep enough.

But why is this an issue? The connect-primitives do connect to the conhole-primitives allright, don't they?

I'm sorry you are right, it's an illusion.

I changed the color of the 4-4cylc.dat of one of those holes and it becomes visible.
(2019-04-26, 21:12)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]- Window pane 30046.dat doesn't seem to fit 30044.dat, its pins are to high.

I think more window (glass) parts are too small and do not snap.