LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCAD compass location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to change the location of the compass in LDCAD? It is under my parts bin. I would like to move it to the right. It was there after it was first installed. Somehow it got moved and so did the parts bin. I got the parts bin back but it's in the way.
(2018-09-03, 19:34)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to change the location of the compass in LDCAD? It is under my parts bin. I would like to move it to the right. It was there after it was first installed. Somehow it got moved and so did the parts bin. I got the parts bin back but it's in the way.

You have undocked the part bin, making it a floating window.

You can redock it by holding down the ctrl key while dragging it to the side. You probably also need to redock the color bin in its top position.

You can prevent accidental undocking by locking it in the prefs/gui menu.
(2018-09-03, 19:34)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to change the location of the compass in LDCAD? It is under my parts bin. I would like to move it to the right. It was there after it was first installed. Somehow it got moved and so did the parts bin. I got the parts bin back but it's in the way.

Thank you so much for both tips. It's all better. I'm pretty good on MLCAD but, I don't do LSynth. I heard LDCAD is easier for that. So now I am trying to learn to use LDCAD. That animation business looks like fun too. Can LDCAD be used to make building instructions?  I use LPUB3D and LDVIEW. I'm so grateful to all the AFOLs who make LDRAW work for the rest of us. THANK YOU!!
(2018-09-04, 3:16)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you so much for both tips. It's all better. I'm pretty good on MLCAD but, I don't do LSynth. I heard LDCAD is easier for that. So now I am trying to learn to use LDCAD. That animation business looks like fun too. Can LDCAD be used to make building instructions?  I use LPUB3D and LDVIEW. I'm so grateful to all the AFOLs who make LDRAW work for the rest of us. THANK YOU!!

I've used LDCad for instructions before - it's no different than using MLCad in that respect, you just add the step metacommands at the appropriate places in the file. There's a tool bar button (and presumably also a keyboard shortcut) for that. Then you use LDPub3D as usual.
(2018-09-04, 7:20)Owen Dive Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-04, 3:16)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you so much for both tips. It's all better. I'm pretty good on MLCAD but, I don't do LSynth. I heard LDCAD is easier for that. So now I am trying to learn to use LDCAD. That animation business looks like fun too. Can LDCAD be used to make building instructions?  I use LPUB3D and LDVIEW. I'm so grateful to all the AFOLs who make LDRAW work for the rest of us. THANK YOU!!

I've used LDCad for instructions before - it's no different than using MLCad in that respect, you just add the step metacommands at the appropriate places in the file. There's a tool bar button (and presumably also a keyboard shortcut) for that. Then you use LDPub3D as usual.
Great, Thanks. I'll make sure I learn that. I assume that rotation steps are done some how. Also, I see submodeling is available. It took me a very long time to learn MLCAD. But if LDCAD also does everything I need, I may end up using it more. We'll see.
(2018-09-04, 13:15)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Great, Thanks. I'll make sure I learn that. I assume that rotation steps are done some how. Also, I see submodeling is available. It took me a very long time to learn MLCAD. But if LDCAD also does everything I need, I may end up using it more. We'll see.

You can use any normal step as a rotation step by editing the current step properties using ctrl+b

Do note this is not possible for the last or only step in a model as LDraw steps indicate the ending of a step.

If you want to get productive with LDCad reading my short tutorials might get you started.
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs

Of which the "advanced editing" one explains LDCad's submodel use.
(2018-09-04, 19:31)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-04, 13:15)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Great, Thanks. I'll make sure I learn that. I assume that rotation steps are done some how. Also, I see submodeling is available. It took me a very long time to learn MLCAD. But if LDCAD also does everything I need, I may end up using it more. We'll see.

You can use any normal step as a rotation step by editing the current step properties using ctrl+b

Do note this is not possible for the last or only step in a model as LDraw steps indicate the ending of a step.

If you want to get productive with LDCad reading my short tutorials might get you started.
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs

Of which the "advanced editing" one explains LDCad's submodel use.

Thanks, I am using your tutorial docs. But, now I have a new issue. The editing pin is not appearing when I place a brick. Thanks for the help with this.
(2018-09-06, 0:10)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I am using your tutorial docs. But, now I have a new issue. The editing pin is not appearing when I place a brick. Thanks for the help with this.
Press "p" to hide/show edit pin. Sometimes it gets in the way, especially in rotate mode...
BTW, Roland, using a ring instead of a disc would make it less intrusive?
(2018-09-06, 6:45)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-06, 0:10)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I am using your tutorial docs. But, now I have a new issue. The editing pin is not appearing when I place a brick. Thanks for the help with this.
Press "p" to hide/show edit pin. Sometimes it gets in the way, especially in rotate mode...

It should turn transparent when its pointing directly in your face.

You can also make it permanently transparent in the prefs/editing menu.

I haven't really thought about the editing pin for the 2.0 version, I'm still working on the basics of rendering due to a big delay in its development Sad
Quote:It should turn transparent when its pointing directly in your face.
It does. What I meant is that the disc prevents selecting parts behind it (multiple selections of nearby parts). Arrows of move mode hide a smaller area and are more manageable, hence my suggestion of a ring instead of a disc.
Quote:I haven't really thought about the editing pin for the 2.0 version, I'm still working on the basics of rendering due to a big delay in its development Sad
Good luck, Jim Wink
(2018-09-06, 6:45)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]

I have gotten through your tutorial doc. I have a basic understanding. I've been modeling rubber belts with success, THANK YOU very much. I actually need to make a figure 8 to go around two 1/2 bushes. In fact, the "x" section of it has to currve outside of 1 beam. Yah, it's kind of a fussy job. The figure 8 is what I really need the most help wiith. I accidently got an X when I was initially learning this. But, I don't know how it happened. Thanks for your help. This little job is the reason I began the LDCAD tutorial.
(2018-09-08, 2:25)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]I have gotten through your tutorial doc. I have a basic understanding. I've been modeling rubber belts with success, THANK YOU very much. I actually need to make a figure 8 to go around two 1/2 bushes. In fact, the "x" section of it has to currve outside of 1 beam. Yah, it's kind of a fussy job. The figure 8 is what I really need the most help wiith. I accidently got an X when I was initially learning this. But, I don't know how it happened. Thanks for your help. This little job is the reason I began the LDCAD tutorial.

You can make a cross by reversing one of the two circle guidance points wrapping direction. This is done by editing its properties (enter while selected, or click the coordinate panel).

But if you are a perfectionist this might not be good enough as the band will physically cross itself.

You can improve that by positioning a couple of extra bezier guidance points like in the below image.

[attachment=3257]
(2018-09-08, 18:28)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-08, 2:25)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]I have gotten through your tutorial doc. I have a basic understanding. I've been modeling rubber belts with success, THANK YOU very much. I actually need to make a figure 8 to go around two 1/2 bushes. In fact, the "x" section of it has to currve outside of 1 beam. Yah, it's kind of a fussy job. The figure 8 is what I really need the most help wiith. I accidently got an X when I was initially learning this. But, I don't know how it happened. Thanks for your help. This little job is the reason I began the LDCAD tutorial.

You can make a cross by reversing one of the two circle guidance points wrapping direction. This is done by editing its properties (enter while selected, or click the coordinate panel).

But if you are a perfectionist this might not be good enough as the band will physically cross itself.

You can improve that by positioning a couple of extra bezier guidance points like in the below image.

Thanks, I tried this today. I was able to form my figure 8 but, part of it appears flat like tape and another portion looks wrinkled. I am happy it's twisted now.
(2018-09-21, 19:51)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I tried this today. I was able to form my figure 8 but, part of it appears flat like tape and another portion looks wrinkled. I am happy it's twisted now.

You need to make sure the 'roll' orientation is correct when using the bezier points. It's indicated by the red/blue arrows. The difference between two connected ones should be less then 180 degrees or the underneath math will do funny things Smile
(2018-09-21, 20:02)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-21, 19:51)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I tried this today. I was able to form my figure 8 but, part of it appears flat like tape and another portion looks wrinkled. I am happy it's twisted now.

You need to make sure the 'roll' orientation is correct when using the bezier points. It's indicated by the red/blue arrows. The difference between two connected ones should be less then 180 degrees or the underneath math will do funny things Smile

I don't understand 'roll' orientation nor how to use the bezier points. Also, how do you update LDRAW parts?
(2018-09-26, 12:31)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand 'roll' orientation nor how to use the bezier points.

Roll influences the orientation of the band while it goes around the wheels. It causes the twist you describe when configured wrongly. This can happen ether by wrong orientation of bezier points or by high values for the roll field in circular points.

If you share the model I could take a look at the problem as I'm not completely sure what you are trying to do.

(2018-09-26, 12:31)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Also, how do you update LDRAW parts?

The library it self: download complete.zip and overwrite the old one (I recommend deleting it first though).

Flexible parts: nested editing mode, or the part's own session.
(2018-09-26, 18:02)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-26, 12:31)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand 'roll' orientation nor how to use the bezier points.

Roll influences the orientation of the band while it goes around the wheels. It causes the twist you describe when configured wrongly. This can happen ether by wrong orientation of bezier points or by high values for the roll field in circular points.

If you share the model I could take a look at the problem as I'm not completely sure what you are trying to do.

(2018-09-26, 12:31)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]Also, how do you update LDRAW parts?

The library it self: download complete.zip and overwrite the old one (I recommend deleting it first though).

Flexible parts: nested editing mode, or the part's own session.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/1963maniac - "Didumos Sequential 8 Speed Transmission..." That is my file that I've been working on. The O rings are a little goofy. They are located and wrapped around the 1/2 bushes properly. But, they have flat portions and wrinkles. There are 4 of them. Thanks for taking a look.
(2018-10-03, 12:04)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]https://bricksafe.com/pages/1963maniac - "Didumos Sequential 8 Speed Transmission..." That is my file that I've been working on. The O rings are a little goofy. They are located and wrapped around the 1/2 bushes properly. But, they have flat portions and wrinkles. There are 4 of them. Thanks for taking a look.
Here we are... (attached)
I modified one of the rubber bands, I let you do the other one as an exercise Wink
(you can probably use only one rubberband shape, as setup is symmetrical). What I had to do was to
- Rotate the second path point by 180° to eliminate the squishing effect.
- This also uncross the rubber band, so I had to take properties of the path point and change it from clockwise to counter clockwise
- Add two Bezier path points at the crossing to avoid self-penetrating band.
- Also had to adjust control points, as the path points were very close to each other the shape was very angular.
- Finally, adjusted the Bezier path points positions to avoid collision with the black beam 1L

See also this thread https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-22945-po...l#pid29464 that describes a very similar problem.
(2018-10-03, 14:00)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Here we are... (attached)
I modified one of the rubber bands, I let you do the other one as an exercise Wink
(you can probably use only one rubberband shape, as setup is symmetrical). What I had to do was to
- Rotate the second path point by 180° to eliminate the squishing effect.
- This also uncross the rubber band, so I had to take properties of the path point and change it from clockwise to counter clockwise
- Add two Bezier path points at the crossing to avoid self-penetrating band.
- Also had to adjust control points, as the path points were very close to each other the shape was very angular.
- Finally, adjusted the Bezier path points positions to avoid collision with the black beam 1L

You might also want to change the band's skin to allow for smoother curves by changing "basesize" from 400% to 200% as its a very small band.
(2018-10-03, 18:31)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]You might also want to change the band's skin to allow for smoother curves by changing "basesize" from 400% to 200% as its a very small band.
I would like to know how to add these bezier points when modeling a rubber band. Thanks, 1963maniac
(2020-06-11, 19:37)Kathleen Kampf Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to know how to add these bezier points when modeling a rubber band. Thanks, 1963maniac
Select another control point, then Insert to add a new one. Then change type: right click -> properties -> change type from "circle" to "Bezier"