LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Which renderers support Texture Mapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi gang,
  Nice forums!  My complements to the folks who keep LDraw.org vibrant!

Which renderers support texture mapping?
Thanks,
Kevin
(2017-05-31, 16:04)Kevin Clague Wrote: [ -> ]  Which renderers support texture mapping?

LDView (planar only) and LDCad (planar, cylindrical, and spherical, I think) support it. Not sure about others.
(2017-05-31, 17:24)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-31, 16:04)Kevin Clague Wrote: [ -> ]  Which renderers support texture mapping?

LDView (planar only) and LDCad (planar, cylindrical, and spherical, I think) support it. Not sure about others.

Welcome here, Kevin!
Texmap is also supported by LeoCAD (don't remember if it supports cylindrical and spherical) and LDPartEditor.
(2017-05-31, 18:01)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-31, 17:24)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]LDView (planar only) and LDCad (planar, cylindrical, and spherical, I think) support it. Not sure about others.

Welcome here, Kevin!
Texmap is also supported by LeoCAD (don't remember if it supports cylindrical and spherical) and LDPartEditor.

Hi Philo and Travis!

Thanks to all for the feedback.
How does this work? Can I map an image to a brick?
I've never understood nor tried anything with texturemapping, but I have model with some custom prints and stickers.
Can it be used for that?
(2017-06-19, 13:08)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: [ -> ]How does this work? Can I map an image to a brick?
I've never understood nor tried anything with texturemapping, but I have model with some custom prints and stickers.
Can it be used for that?

It can certainly be used for custom prints and stickers, but was designed for use in official parts. The spec is here:

http://ldraw.org/documentation/ldraw-org...pping.html

Even a quick glance at the above will show that it's not designed for end users. Having said that, editors like LDCad could explicitly add support for creating a textured sticker. But that would be a new feature.

Also, if only one face of a part is visible in a model, a wrapper part could be created that texture maps that face. The problem is that the way the texture maps work, they would project all the way through the part. For real texture mapped parts, the texture mapping is limited in the part geometry to certain polygons, but that's not possible with a wrapper part.
Here is an example of what I mean by a wrapper part. Save the following DAT code in an ldr file:

Code:
0 !TEXMAP START PLANAR  -40 -20 -40  40 -20 -40  -40 60 -40  globe_west.png
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat
0 !TEXMAP END

Save the following image in a file named globe_west.png in a textures subfolder of wherever you store the ldr file:

[Image: NsGaBYJ.png]

If you then load the file in a texmap-supporting renderer, you should get something like so:
[Image: 0zcHOQP.png]
[Image: S4NiigK.png]
And here is the code for a red sticker quad placed 1/2LDU in front of the same 2x4 brick:

Code:
0 !TEXMAP START PLANAR  -40 -20 -40  40 -20 -40  -40 60 -40  globe_west.png
4 4 -40 0 -20.5  40 0 -20.5  40 24 -20.5  -40 24 -20.5
0 !TEXMAP END
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat

The above uses the same texture file, which needs to be stored in a textures subdirectory of wherever the ldr file is stored. The result looks like this:
[Image: Lo2VSjc.png]
@jaco

fyi: anything with a texmap meta in it is considererd a part in LDCad so if you want to use it there you'll need to put the 'wrapper parts' in their own file (inside mpd).

If you want to generate (flat) stickers you can also use my online generator:
http://www.melkert.net/test/stickerGen.html
Hmm, internesting.
I didn't gave this much thought, but could be interesting still.
Especially the second example Travis gave with the globe projected on one side of the brick.

Now I am designing this truck that has a 1x3x4 panel on the sides. I'd like to show a logo on that.
Can this be done using this technique?

Something like this:

[Image: s-l225.jpg]

(just an image I quickly found)
Pages: 1 2 3