LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.6 Beta 1 (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello all,

I'm very proud to, finally, present the first Beta version of LDCad 1.6

It has been the slowest development cycle so far and I still need to dot some I's and such concerning the scripting stuff. But I relalize not many people use that anyway so I pushed it to Beta 2 in order to get a version out before the holydays.

Version 1.6 introduces the following major features:
- Macro scripting
- Many script api extensions
- Mirroring
- Region select
- MPD tools
- POV-Ray export (including animations)
- full ROTSTEP and BUFEXCHG support.
- Hotkey configuration
- Layered groups (still a bit experimental though)

It also includes many small tweaks and extensions, like:
- non integer grid stepping
- extend header editing
- some visual changes
- improved GUI templates

Even the downloads are improved as all of them now include both the 32 and 64 bit versions. The windows setup will install the correct one based on your system. I've also tried to automate this for this Linux version (setup.sh) but it might need some tweaking on some systems (feedback/improvements are highly appreciated)

You can get the version of your choice here:
www.melkert.net/LDCad/download

The Linux version is still compiled with (fully updateded) Debian 7.5, as this seems to ensure maximal compatibility. If the Linux experts on this board think I should upgrade to 8.x for some valid reason please let me know.

Documentation update and extensions (like always) are pending

[attachment=2656]
Thanks for Beta1, Roland!

I write longer summary later after more testing. Just first observations: "Alt" modifier of hotkeys works perfectly even in combinations with other modifiers, attaching a hotkey for (sub)menu works as well, I can finally hide the menu bar forever and save this space on my tiny monitor. Other/remaining problems: "+" problem in the Part bin is still there, the hotkey configuration menu does not warn you about a hotkey conflict, the amount of actions there starts being really long and hard for overview; for example even (sub)menu items are not prefixed with same text, like "MENU:" and/or grouped together.

Scripting: Please, can you summarize the extension of scripting API or send me your examples used for testing it? They do not need to be perfect and educational, I just need something to start with. You know, there will be a week between Christmas and the New Year, that's a good chance for me to have time for both LDCad and LPub3D.

This reminds me another question: LPub3D uses archives of LDraw library plus additional directories. Plus ldraw.ini file containing the configuration of that, optionally. I still do not know details but I want to ask you if LDCad knows to cooperate with LPub3D on this so I, the user, will touch the same LDraw library in both programs, including unofficial parts, shadow information etc.?
Great work Roland! Many thanks!
But, uhm, where exactly can I find the Pov-ray export? I looked everywhere but I can't find it...
Ok, so far it seems pretty unstable. Or at least, something's not right. I've had it crash multiple times now, when rotating a submodel.
I'm happily editing a model, then it suddenly randomly freezes when I rotate a submodel. Happened 4 times in a row now  Undecided

EDIT: Ok, it looks like it's really a bug, it's 100% reproduceable (on my machine at least). Every single time I put this specific submodel in the main model and I try to rotate it, it freezes
EDIT2: So... it looks like this bug happens when I (try to) rotate any submodel.
(2016-12-23, 8:14)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Great work Roland! Many thanks!
But, uhm, where exactly can I find the Pov-ray export? I looked everywhere but I can't find it...

View > Editing views > OpenGL view export (Export current view's OpenGL rendering to a png file)
View > Editing views > POV-Ray view export (Export current view's scene to a POV-Ray file)
(2016-12-23, 8:38)TestOne Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-23, 8:14)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Great work Roland! Many thanks!

View > Editing views > OpenGL view export (Export current view's OpenGL rendering to a png file)
View > Editing views > POV-Ray view export (Export current view's scene to a POV-Ray file)

Thanks! Seems a bit weird to put it under 'editing views' in my opinion. I expected it under file > export > POV-ray or something like that.
Anyway, gonna take a look at what it produces  Smile
(2016-12-23, 8:33)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so far it seems pretty unstable. Or at least, something's not right. I've had it crash multiple times now, when rotating a submodel.
I may confirm there is a problem. But it is not a crash. When I start rotating a submodel in the main model LDCad starts taking about 260% CPU (two full cores plus 60% of the third one) and nothing visible happens for minutes. Then my patience was gone and I killed LDCad from cmdline. Both 32bit and 64bit versions are affected.
Moving the submodel is OK, rotation using hotkeys is also OK, I may reproduce this bug only when I rotate the submodel using the rotation pin.
Another bug, may be related: when I rotate the same submodel using hotkeys, some rounding errors must happen. For example the submodel is not at its original place after 8 rotations about 22.5 deg.
And apparently it's not only submodels. It happens with parts too now...  Undecided
(2016-12-23, 10:09)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]And apparently it's not only submodels. It happens with parts too now...  Undecided

Are you both using Linux as I could only replicate it in the Linux version so far.

I'll try to fix this into a beta 1a asap.

The rounding thing might be harder to fix though
(2016-12-23, 17:55)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Are you both using Linux as I could only replicate it in the Linux version so far.
I'll try to fix this into a beta 1a asap.
The rounding thing might be harder to fix though

Yes, Linux. Debian Jessie (8.6), both 64bit and 32bit versions are affected by these two bugs.

For testing purposes, I do not need them fixed, I just reported them. I simply will use keyboard for rotations during the testing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6