LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad under wine (on mac)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all today someone asked (again) if there is a mac version of LDCad.

I advised the usual try a virtual machine, but this time I also thought about WINE as there is a mac version of that.

This made me wanne try running LDCad under wine in Linux as it should be the same I think.

So with some tweaks I did manage to get LDCad 1.5 running under wine on Mint 8,

It acts a bit weird the first start though but the second seems ok, only problem is no text rendering (so all crosses in the menus etc).

This was fixed by coping the FreeSans.ttf and FreeMone.ttf font files into the default/gui folder though.

The fun was then spoiled by it crashing assoon you start a new model, but this might be the result of me running mint in a virtual machine using software rendering.

Has anyone else tried running LDCad under WINE on Linux or a mac ?

update:
The crash was caused by using  std::locale envDef("")  for some reason, I managed to fix that by using std::locale envDef("C") this combined with the option to disable file monitoring seems to make WINE usable combined with LDCad 1.6.  I will need to do some more test though, any additional findings from experienced Wine users will be appreciated.

update2:
found a better way to fix the fonts issue, just symlink the systems font root dir into the wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts folder, like shown on the below picture.

LDCad 1.6 beta 1 running under wine on mint 18 which itself is running under vmplayer on Windows 7 Pro 64 Smile
[attachment=2490]
Interesting. I'll try to get it running.
I got it sort of running but the gui did not load.
I was able to open an example model that actually rendered, but the things crash.
My knowledge of Wine and so is too limited to do anything good, so if anyone else has a Mac and gets LDcad running, let us know?
Fonts are still not working for me even after putting them in the font folder.

[attachment=2718]
(2017-03-07, 19:18)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Fonts are still not working for me even after putting them in the font folder.

This looks more like FBO isn't working, you could try disabling that in main.cfg by changing

frameRenderMethod=FBO

into

frameRenderMethod=basic
(2017-03-07, 19:34)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-07, 19:18)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Fonts are still not working for me even after putting them in the font folder.

This looks more like FBO isn't working, you could try disabling that in main.cfg by changing

frameRenderMethod=FBO

into

frameRenderMethod=basic

Nope.  That didn't do it.

I also tried:
shadingEnabled=false
useVBO=false
Same here. Moving the mouse over the area where you can choose to load a file, make en new file, etc, helptext is shown in the status bar.
Opening and rendering a model works though. This is what I see:

[attachment=2719]

Open Prefs menu and mouse hovers over LDraw specific options (see status bar :-)
(2017-03-08, 2:35)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-07, 19:34)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]This looks more like FBO isn't working, you could try disabling that in main.cfg by changing

frameRenderMethod=FBO

into

frameRenderMethod=basic

Nope.  That didn't do it.

I also tried:
shadingEnabled=false
useVBO=false

I also checked the logs. The Fonts are being found and there aren't any errors that I can see
Thanks for trying Orion and Jaco,

It looks like it wont do the 2D things, which is extremely weird as in OpenGL this is just a different projection matrix.

Only other thing I can think of is Display lists not working properly as I use those a lot in the GUI oriented renderings.

edit: I'll add an option to disable use of display lists in the next version.
(2017-03-08, 18:20)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for trying Orion and Jaco,

It looks like it wont do the 2D things, which is extremely weird as in OpenGL this is just a different projection matrix.

Only other thing I can think of is Display lists not working properly as I use those a lot in the GUI oriented renderings.

edit: I'll add an option to disable use of display lists in the next version.

Just out of curiousity, I went all the way back to version 1.2 with no success. I do know it works with VM Ware Fusion so it may be a Wine thing and not an OpenGL thing.
(2017-03-08, 19:24)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiousity, I went all the way back to version 1.2 with no success. I do know it works with VM Ware Fusion so it may be a Wine thing and not an OpenGL thing.

Wine under Linux seems to have no problems so I'm thinking the mac OpenGL driver is very strict in applying the OpenGL profile (>=3.1 doesn't mandate Display list support anymore, although most drivers do).

I don't specifically ask for an OpenGL profile, so I'm thinking to add an option to specifically request 3.0 or something as LDCad can run on OpenGL as low as 1.1.