LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: [LDPartEditor] Third Party Library Struggle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

LDPartEditor uses third party libraries as you may know.
During the development I do third party library updates from time to time.

I need 17 different libraries for each release plus several native libraries for each operating system (to provide native OpenGL and native GUI support).
SWT and LWJGL are the main third party libraries that are crucial to run LDPE.
With a release of a new operating system I likely need a new library version.

Well, there is a nice saying:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But this won't help for the long term. Unfortunately, I cannot update to newer libraries now.
A new library breaks LDPE, which is quite annoying.
I probably have to update the third party libraries to support Windows 11, 12, 13... in the future.

The extreme solution would be to re-implement LDPE with JavaFX, while replacing LWJGL with JavaFX 3D.
Sadly, this is impossible, because JavaFX has no StyledText component yet, which is required for LDPE's text editor.
Another possible, but crazy solution would be to implement my own widget toolkit from scratch and do the rendering with OpenGL (like LDCad does).

Don't get me wrong. I like SWT and LWJGL. They are both very good libraries.

Leg godt

Nils
If you're going to use 3rd-party libraries, you usually need to update your code to be compatible with changes when new versions of the libraries break your existing code. That sucks, but it's the way things are.
(2016-09-03, 20:52)Travis Cobbs Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going to use 3rd-party libraries, you usually need to update your code to be compatible with changes when new versions of the libraries break your existing code. That sucks, but it's the way things are.

Yes I know :)
I caught up on some sleep, did a little more testing and it turned out that there was no fatal library problem...
I just had an issue with Ubuntu Linux one day*... then I did a test under KaOS Linux and the issue was gone.

* a crash, caused by deprecated GLX library calls which were out of scope of LDPE and SWT.