LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: For Beginners: LDCad 1.5 Part Bins for EV3 Education 45544-1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2016-08-15, 7:27)Owen Dive Wrote: [ -> ]Right, but my point was that if you wanted to use more than 6 different categories, you can. You can add another whole part bin window, which gives you six more bins, and you can have two of them displayed at the same time. In my setup, I have a window (6 bins) for studless technic, another window (6 more bins) for studded technic, and a third window (for a total of 18 bins) for everything else - which I mostly use for submodels and misc. non-technic parts. I just wanted to make sure you knew you could do that.

Instead of a screenshot, I see "Image: " then a filename, surrounded by [].

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize that you could have multiple part bins open at the same time.

I'm digging out my Great Ball Contraption modules to test and pack for Bricks By the Bay in Santa Clara, California this weekend, so will get back to LDCad late next week.

Walt
(2016-08-11, 19:02)Walt White Wrote: [ -> ]Walt 

Thanks , this is very close to what I was looking for. I am completely new to LDraw and LDCad and hence need to ask you some dumb questions 

a) Are all the parts from BOTH the Lego EV3 Mindstorm Core Set (45544) and Expanded Set (45560) included in the latest LDCad software version ? 

b) Would the LDCad software allow the kids to integrate all the parts and create their model designs through the LDCad Editor interface ... would this show them step by step assembly of the model as well ? 

I would love to get a chance to talk to you on phone if possible. 

Regards
Ankur Gupta
Quote:a) Are all the parts from BOTH the Lego EV3 Mindstorm Core Set (45544) and Expanded Set (45560) included in the latest LDCad software version ?
As far as I know, yes, all the parts for EV3 Edu set and expansion are available in LDraw.

Quote:b) Would the LDCad software allow the kids to integrate all the parts and create their model designs through the LDCad Editor interface ... would this show them step by step assembly of the model as well ?
Yes. But you need to manually add step instructions (LDCad allows to do this easily) where needed to be able to see the model step by step.
(2016-09-07, 18:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Philippe - thanks - are there any published instructions for me to follow to include the EV3 Core and Expanded Set parts into LDCad that you know of ?
The parts are in the general database of parts you install with the program.
If you want to have them available in a separate bin for each set, search the forum to learn about pbg files (part bin group)
(2016-09-08, 6:41)Jetro de Château Wrote: [ -> ]Jetro - Thanks , but how do I search / find the parts in the LDCad UI.  I am not able to see a part search option ?
I suggest you go to the website of the author (http://www.melkert.net/LDCad) and read the documentation (you can find all the links in the left-hand pane of the website). Start at "Getting Started" to make sure you haven't missed any important steps to make sure everything will work properly and then work your way down the list.
(2016-08-11, 19:02)Walt White Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to show I got the part bins to work, in excruciating detail, for any other LDCad novices who want to enjoy the building features of LDCad and need help with the part bin configuration.  

I tried to use BrickUtils as described in this thread and got thoroughly confused.  It's probably a wonderful application, but as a novice I couldn't get anything to work, and had no idea how to proceed.  So I decided to follow Roland's LDCad online documentation and do some trial & error analysis.

Walt - For your information, my BrickUtils fork was written to generate a single type of LDCad part bin - Sets.

Perhaps this is why it was confusing to you? 

You can see my new walkthrough post on how to use BrickUtils to generate a set part bin.

The efficiency advantage of creating a set part bin is the model editor will isolate only the parts needed for the set s/he is modeling which saves a great deal of time over having to search across the entire LDraw part library.

Cheers,
Pages: 1 2