LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LPub3D 1:1 part representation feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For an upcoming release of LPub3D, I would like to enable the ability to insert 1:1 part representations such as depicted below.
[attachment=2428]

My design idea is to render 1:1 parts relative to the selected LPub3D page units (centimeters or inches). This feature would only apply to Technic axles, beams, liftarms and some gears.

My requests for information are:

1. Is there any place I can find the size dimensions for the part types indicated above  - in mm, in or LDU ?
2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Quote:2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?
Well, dimension cand be derived from description for axles and straight beams: L=n * 20 ldu.
Radius of gears can be derived from number of teeth, also in description: r=n/16 * 20 ldu. This is the radius in the middle of teeth. As tooth half height is (roughly) 2.5 ldu we get outside diameter of R=n/16 * 20 + 2.5 ldu. This may depend a bit on actual implementation but it should be more than enough precise for visual matching of real part vs. 1:1 image.
(2016-08-11, 7:19)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?
Well, dimension can be derived from description for axles and straight beams: L=n * 20 ldu.
Radius of gears can be derived from number of teeth, also in description: r=n/16 * 20 ldu. This is the radius in the middle of teeth. As tooth half height is (roughly) 2.5 ldu we get outside diameter of R=n/16 * 20 + 2.5 ldu. This may depend a bit on actual implementation but it should be more than enough precise for visual matching of real part vs. 1:1 image.

Excellent - Thanks Philo !

Cheers,
Oh that would be a very nice feature!
Why only the ridgid parts?

All of the 7 mm "Technic Ribbed Hose  (x)L" even have their length in mm as a Keyword.
All of the "Technic Flex-System Hose ..." have their length, both in bricks (L) and ldu, in their descriptions.
(2016-08-11, 8:51)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Why only the ridgid parts?

All of the 7 mm "Technic Ribbed Hose  (x)L" even have their length in mm as a Keyword.
All of the "Technic Flex-System Hose ..." have their length, both in bricks (L) and ldu, in their descriptions.

Noted. Thanks !

Cheers,
Hello Sandy,

quite some time ago, looking at the PPT I took the screenshots from it is still 4:3 :-), I collected some ideas to improve LPUB. I would like to share those with you concerning the 1:1 view.

May be it helps you with ideas:-)

Gerald

[attachment=2436]

Things to consider...
[attachment=2437]

[attachment=2438]

And some historical content from LEGO original instructions
[attachment=2439]
Thanks Gerald !
As said, this would be a great feature!
While it is not ready, I am looking for some images of axles (atleast 10 and 12) for some instructions I am making.
I found some pictures and grabbed some from original LEGO instructions but those are too blurry.
Can someone point me to some hi-res images with the 1:1 representation and length of the axle?
(2016-11-06, 11:04)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: [ -> ]As said, this would be a great feature!
While it is not ready, I am looking for some images of axles (atleast 10 and 12) for some instructions I am making.
I found some pictures and grabbed some from original LEGO instructions but those are too blurry.
Can someone point me to some hi-res images with the 1:1 representation and length of the axle?
Isn't it simpler to make a screenshot from a LDraw file and scale it appropriately?
(2016-11-06, 11:04)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone point me to some hi-res images with the 1:1 representation and length of the axle?

What about handling it as a Call-Out?

This code:
(Main File)
Code:
0 Untitled
0 Name: Untitled.ldr
0 Author: Gerald Lasser
0 !LPUB CALLOUT PLI PER_STEP GLOBAL FALSE
0 !LPUB PLI MODEL_SCALE GLOBAL  0.5000
0 !LPUB ASSEM MODEL_SCALE GLOBAL  0.9000
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP BEGIN
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP PLACEMENT CENTER PAGE INSIDE 0 -0.00234542
1 4 -40 24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3700.dat
0 STEP
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP PLI PLACEMENT TOP LEFT ASSEM OUTSIDE
0 !LPUB PART BEGIN IGN
0 !LPUB CALLOUT BEGIN
1 4 -40 34 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 axle.ldr
0 !LPUB CALLOUT PLACEMENT BOTTOM_LEFT PAGE INSIDE
0 !LPUB CALLOUT END
0 !LPUB PART END
1 0 -40 34 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 3708.dat
0 STEP
1 4 0 24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3700.dat
0 STEP
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP END

plus Sub-File:
Code:
0 axle
0 Name: axle.ldr
0 !LPUB ASSEM MODEL_SCALE LOCAL  1.0000
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
0 ROTSTEP 0 0 0 ABS
0 BUFEXCHG A STORE
1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3708.dat
1 15 140 8 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005pt1.dat
1 15 160 8 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005pt1.dat
0 STEP
0 !LPUB NOSTEP
0 BUFEXCHG A RETRIEVE

leads to a page like this:
[attachment=2577]

Just replace the two "1" bricks with a text showing "1:1" as a .dat
OK, Philo, Gerald. Thanks.

The problem with scaling an image is that it is difficult to get it right in print, either professional or home printer.

I did just what Gerald suggested. Create a call out with only the axle and a absolute rotstep.
I only used the text function in LPub to add 1:1 and the length of the axle.
See attachments.

For now, it will do.

It would still be great to add those using LPub3D somehow and really represent 1:1.

I have to think about how to do this when using multiple axles (and beams for that matter) in one step.
You'd want one call out with those parts and also the length in the Assembly image, like LEGO does.