LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LPub3D 1:1 part representation feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For an upcoming release of LPub3D, I would like to enable the ability to insert 1:1 part representations such as depicted below.
[attachment=2428]

My design idea is to render 1:1 parts relative to the selected LPub3D page units (centimeters or inches). This feature would only apply to Technic axles, beams, liftarms and some gears.

My requests for information are:

1. Is there any place I can find the size dimensions for the part types indicated above  - in mm, in or LDU ?
2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Quote:2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?
Well, dimension cand be derived from description for axles and straight beams: L=n * 20 ldu.
Radius of gears can be derived from number of teeth, also in description: r=n/16 * 20 ldu. This is the radius in the middle of teeth. As tooth half height is (roughly) 2.5 ldu we get outside diameter of R=n/16 * 20 + 2.5 ldu. This may depend a bit on actual implementation but it should be more than enough precise for visual matching of real part vs. 1:1 image.
(2016-08-11, 7:19)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2. If this information is not available, is anyone willing to provide this information - for example a part author who may have this information on hand ?
Well, dimension can be derived from description for axles and straight beams: L=n * 20 ldu.
Radius of gears can be derived from number of teeth, also in description: r=n/16 * 20 ldu. This is the radius in the middle of teeth. As tooth half height is (roughly) 2.5 ldu we get outside diameter of R=n/16 * 20 + 2.5 ldu. This may depend a bit on actual implementation but it should be more than enough precise for visual matching of real part vs. 1:1 image.

Excellent - Thanks Philo !

Cheers,
Oh that would be a very nice feature!
Why only the ridgid parts?

All of the 7 mm "Technic Ribbed Hose  (x)L" even have their length in mm as a Keyword.
All of the "Technic Flex-System Hose ..." have their length, both in bricks (L) and ldu, in their descriptions.
(2016-08-11, 8:51)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: [ -> ]Why only the ridgid parts?

All of the 7 mm "Technic Ribbed Hose  (x)L" even have their length in mm as a Keyword.
All of the "Technic Flex-System Hose ..." have their length, both in bricks (L) and ldu, in their descriptions.

Noted. Thanks !

Cheers,
Hello Sandy,

quite some time ago, looking at the PPT I took the screenshots from it is still 4:3 :-), I collected some ideas to improve LPUB. I would like to share those with you concerning the 1:1 view.

May be it helps you with ideas:-)

Gerald

[attachment=2436]

Things to consider...
[attachment=2437]

[attachment=2438]

And some historical content from LEGO original instructions
[attachment=2439]
Thanks Gerald !
As said, this would be a great feature!
While it is not ready, I am looking for some images of axles (atleast 10 and 12) for some instructions I am making.
I found some pictures and grabbed some from original LEGO instructions but those are too blurry.
Can someone point me to some hi-res images with the 1:1 representation and length of the axle?
(2016-11-06, 11:04)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: [ -> ]As said, this would be a great feature!
While it is not ready, I am looking for some images of axles (atleast 10 and 12) for some instructions I am making.
I found some pictures and grabbed some from original LEGO instructions but those are too blurry.
Can someone point me to some hi-res images with the 1:1 representation and length of the axle?
Isn't it simpler to make a screenshot from a LDraw file and scale it appropriately?
Pages: 1 2