LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 4 (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2016-09-24, 20:16)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-24, 19:34)Michael Horvath Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a free font you can bundle with the program?

Yes, but those font files are rather big, so I prefer to use the 'html' approach by walking through a list of suitable fonts of which at least one  should be available.

As a general rule, the only font files that are large are CJK fonts (fonts that include Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters). The entire Open Sans font family (a free high-quality font family from Google) fits into a 1.1MB zip file, with OpenSans-Regular.ttf being 212KB. Unless you support Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, there's no point using a CJK font. If you do support those, the files get a lot bigger. The only freely distributable high-quality CJK font I'm aware of is Source Han Sans. I think including the three files needed to make it work in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean results in close to 20MB worth of (uncompressed) data.
Hey Roland, today I used the 'Cleanup' feature of LDCad 1.6 and it seems to work pretty nice!
However, I have one little note: it seems that it renames submodels slightly wrong (according to the OMR spec).

It renames submodels like this (from the spec): 
Code:
<Set Number>[-<Optional Qualifier>] - <Set Name>[ - <Sub Model Name>]

But, only the filename needs to have the Set Name, all the submodels (including the main submodel) only need to have the set number like this:
Code:
<Set Number>[-<Optional Qualifier>] - <Individual filename>

Although I personally often give my main submodel the name of the set (first option above, but without submodel name). So, in short: LDcad should be renaming submodels according to option 2 and it would be nice to have an optional checkbox to name the main submodel as set.  Smile
Yes, I noticed this but forgot to report. You can get it to work fine by filling in only the set number in OMR window.
Feature request of the day:

* I'd like to have a small red border around the editor window(s) when I'm in o-mode. I do not think that it is enough to have the double compass to make me aware of the changed grid orientation
* I'd like to have a Home icon next to the filter icon in the part bin window, which take me right to the top of the tree to the Main group
* I'd like that the source window automatically scrolls up or down when I move a part and get with the cursor close to the borders of the pane

* How do I search for ~ed parts?

Thx, w.

BTW, kudos for the shock absorber template ( I worked with for the first time). Awesome feature!
Quote:* I'd like to have a small red border around the editor window(s) when I'm in o-mode. I do not think that it is enough to have the double compass to make me aware of the changed grid orientation
Looks like a good idea - sometimes I have problem with this too (especially when the local orientation is almost aligned with world coordinates). In the same spirit, a visual indication that I am in nested mode would be appreciated too. A colored dot near top right model name?

Quote:* I'd like that the source window automatically scrolls up or down when I move a part and get with the cursor close to the borders of the pane
I asked for that a long time ago and Roland answered (wisely!) that this kind of scroll never go at the right speed (either too slow or too fast) - and I must say I agree. Use PgUp/Dn keys or mouse wheel to scroll...

Quote:* How do I search for ~ed parts?
These parts are not supposed to be directly accessible, but shortcuts should have been provided in the library. The proper way is thus to use this shortcut and if needed you can inline it to access the ~ed components for different coloring or position. But you can also access them directly using LDCad search tool!
(2016-10-11, 14:58)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:* I'd like to have a small red border around the editor window(s) when I'm in o-mode. I do not think that it is enough to have the double compass to make me aware of the changed grid orientation
Looks like a good idea - sometimes I have problem with this too (especially when the local orientation is almost aligned with world coordinates). In the same spirit, a visual indication that I am in nested mode would be appreciated too. A colored dot near top right model name?
This might be handy indeed, I'll put it on my 'nice to have' list for 1.6 beta 1 or 2.
Coyp  and paste doesn't work as expected in the source window:

* Select and copy say two parts
* Select a part and paste
* "Select the source insertion point"
* Go to the very bottom and click into the empty space (since it is the very end where I wanna insert my part)
* Apparently nothing has happened. No part shows up. Before it comes visible you have to scroll upwards and then down again. Just then the list gets updated. BTW the same happens when you add a STEP. The command shows up only after you have scrolled in the source window. The funny thing is CTRL+D immediately updates the source window.

w.
Roland will explain the details I guess, but the behaviour in both case is controlled by "follow selection" and "follow step" options. Get to the source menu by right click on the source window but not on a part (otherwise you pop up the selection menu). BTW - (hint, hint Roland) it's not very convenient to access this menu Wink
(2016-10-12, 7:31)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Roland will explain the details I guess, but the behaviour in both case is controlled by "follow selection" and "follow step" options. Get to the source menu by right click on the source window but not on a part (otherwise you pop up the selection menu). BTW - (hint, hint Roland) it's not very convenient to access this menu Wink

Follow selection (on new) is enabled by default, so this might be a bug indeed. Thanks for reporting Willy, I'll look into it.
What is the best approach building a minifig, since LDCad doesn't have a generator?

* Build it from scratch taking advantage of the connections
* Adding 979 - Minifig standing -> Inline -> substituting parts
* Importing from another model, adding as subpart and get rid off the rest

Have there been thoughts of creating a template with hand and leg accessories, head accessories such as goggles?

w.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10