LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.6 Alpha 3 (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Alpha 3 has been replaced by Alpha 3a.

I've fixed the template issue Philo reported.
(2016-07-04, 20:45)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-04, 7:21)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]- What is the potential benefit of 64 bit version? faster? even bigger LDraw files editable?
The 64bit version is about 5% faster rendering wise on my setup. The exe is slightly smaller but it uses more memory. The main selling point of 64 bit versions is the option to use the full system memory pool but LDCad isn't that hungry to begin with (I haven't seen it using more then 500MB unless you are loading really large models). So in the end it's just the 5% boost I guess Smile

64-bit versions are usually inherently more secure from malicious activity, since their 64-bit address space gives address space layout randomization a vastly bigger playground. For LDraw-base programs, this probably isn't a big deal.
Quote:That's the first time that has happened as far I know. It's hard to say what the problem is given such a vague description though. Maybe they just don't like the filesize or something.
The good thing is that it did not complain about 1.6 alpha 3a...

Quote:So in the end it's just the 5% boost I guess Smile
Good to know... though LDCad is already quite fast on a machine able to use a 64b exe!

Quote:Yes after some larger chunk tests, it tests every vertex of the part until at least one is inside the region's frustum. That method gives the least (zero) false positives.
And it does work very well. If really needed, maybe the shadow library could provide a way to add extra vertices in the handful of parts (mainly axles) that miss them? A 32L axle might be missed quite often Wink
(2016-07-04, 22:34)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]Alpha 3 has been replaced by Alpha 3a.

I've fixed the template issue Philo reported.

Ok, so a few minutes ago I downloaded the new version, fired it up, started a new model and then... it crashed.
Luckily I had only placed a few bricks so not much was lost. Apparently it crashes when I press CTRL + C to copy a part. Maybe a alpha 3b would be necessary?  Wink
(2016-07-05, 15:37)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so a few minutes ago I downloaded the new version, fired it up, started a new model and then... it crashed.
Luckily I had only placed a few bricks so not much was lost. Apparently it crashes when I press CTRL + C to copy a part. Maybe a alpha 3b would be necessary?  Wink

The ctrl+c issue has been reported before but I can't replicate it myself.

Does it crash every time for you? Or only with a specific part / selection etc or completely at random?

Can you describe exactly what you did just before the crash even things like the location of the cursor during the ctrl+c press can be important in order for me to find this bug.
(2016-07-05, 10:01)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]The good thing is that it did not complain about 1.6 alpha 3a...
They probably added a signature to the db.

(2016-07-05, 10:01)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]And it does work very well. If really needed, maybe the shadow library could provide a way to add extra vertices in the handful of parts (mainly axles) that miss them? A 32L axle might be missed quite often Wink
If it's really needed I could also generate some interpolations just for use with the tests. Just need some rules on when to do that (or not).
(2016-07-05, 17:39)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-05, 15:37)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so a few minutes ago I downloaded the new version, fired it up, started a new model and then... it crashed.

The ctrl+c issue has been reported before but I can't replicate it myself.

Does it crash every time for you? Or only with a specific part / selection etc or completely at random?

Can you describe exactly what you did just before the crash even things like the location of the cursor during the ctrl+c press can be important in order for me to find this bug.

Hmm, didn't know it was reported before.

I tested it again and it only crashes in the 64bit version, the 32bit version works fine.

It crashes every time I try to copy a part in the 3d viewer, either using CTRL + C or right mouse button > copy. When copying with either CTRL + C or right mouse button > copy in the source window, it doesn't crash (and pasting works too there).
(2016-07-05, 18:01)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, didn't know it was reported before.

I tested it again and it only crashes in the 64bit version, the 32bit version works fine.

It crashes every time I try to copy a part in the 3d viewer, either using CTRL + C or right mouse button > copy. When copying with either CTRL + C or right mouse button > copy in the source window, it doesn't crash (and pasting works too there).

Thanks it crashes in the 64bit version for me too, shouldn't be to hard to find/fix now Smile

In the meantime consider using the 'ins' key instead of ctrl+c as a workaround.
(2016-07-05, 18:44)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]In the meantime consider using the 'ins' key instead of ctrl+c as a workaround.

Anyone other than me having Insert/Delete on the same key on my keyboard?
I makes me don't wanna learn to use that key.

Actually, I don't even know how to activate the Ins-key. Neither 'Ctrl', 'Shift', 'Alt' nor 'Alt gr' activates it.
Maybe there is an 'Fn' key that will switch to the alternate function, a lot of laptop computers use this.

Sadly, using INS does not work if you want to move parts from one model or submodel to another, I don't think there is an alternative to using copy/paste in that case. I keep losing work because of that bug (and because I'm often forgetting to save...) - weren't there plans for an autosave function at some point?

/This was meant to be a reply to #19, can anyone move it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5