LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: 10174 UCS Imperial AT-ST [Star Wars]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
10174 UCS Imperial AT-ST [Star Wars]

I am glad to present the 10174 UCS AT-ST.   … and I can tell you: For me this was a tough nut to crack!

Especially connecting the side parts of the drivers cap to the main model made me kind of desperate: It was necessary to fine adjust several angles successively in small steps by trial and error so as to get a best fit. After each step I had to check the result by visual means. Although I had not been able to avoid some small collisions I am finally satisfied with the result.

[Image: 800x800.jpg]
Download MPD-File (OMR compliant)

Done with LDcad
Rubber band generated with Philo’s “Rubber Belt Generator”
Errors: Missing display sticker

regards
Roland
Quote:Especially connecting the side parts of the drivers cap to the main model made me kind of desperate: It was necessary to fine adjust several angles successively in small steps by trial and error so as to get a best fit. After each step I had to check the result by visual means. Although I had not been able to avoid some small collisions I am finally satisfied with the result.
I can feel your pain! a tricky one indeed, but you nailed it!

Quote:Rubber band generated with Philo’s “Rubber Belt Generator”
I am honored, but why not use the more convenient generator of LDCad?
(2016-06-14, 9:36)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]I can feel your pain! a tricky one indeed, but you nailed it!

I am honored, but why not use the more convenient generator of LDCad?

Many thanks for your empathy and compassion!

It's just because I have not yet fully understood, respectively learned, how it works. So it was most quick and easy to do it the well known way.

I red the Advanced Editing page on http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit and also watched the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuuUlUH1kVY. But I still have troubles generating a rubber band in Ldcad: Adding a second circle (by selecting the cirlce and press ins) does not result in a single united rubber band but in 2 seperate ones. So it seems I'm missing the right procedure. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote: Adding a second circle (by selecting the cirlce and press ins)
You have to make sure to be in nested mode (otherwise you duplicate the whole thing). Then select the path point by clicking on the central three arrow thingy (and not the little sphere in the middle). Then hit ins to make a new path point. You can also select the path in the source window (view/new source window): Selecting this damned thin arrow is not so easy when there is only the rubber band, and it can be a nightmare in a complex model.
(2016-06-15, 6:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: Adding a second circle (by selecting the cirlce and press ins)
You have to make sure to be in nested mode (otherwise you duplicate the whole thing). Then select the path point by clicking on the central three arrow thingy (and not the little sphere in the middle). Then hit ins to make a new path point. You can also select the path in the source window (view/new source window): Selecting this damned thin arrow is not so easy when there is only the rubber band, and it can be a nightmare in a complex model.

Yeah. I remember when I was trying to use flexible parts in LDCad, I was also having trouble because I wasn't in nested mode.
(2016-06-15, 6:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Then select the path point by clicking on the central three arrow thing

Nesting mode always had been enabled.

The key is "this damned thin arrow"!! Thanks! Now it works fine. And it works impressively fine. So one more opportunity to say "Thanks, Roland, for providing such a great tool".