LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.5 Beta Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
1. Argl! sorry! Somehow strange I didn't noticed this in either LDDP or LDView...
Bug:

* When you Save as... the <0 Name:> entry gets not updated accordingly.

w.
Going on with my rantings/questions...
- How do I mirror a selection?
- Is there a good method to use that pesky manipulator? I have the feeling that it is NEVER in the right place - and often has not the desired orientation...
- Is there a way to customize color toolbar? I desperately miss color 24!
- I have a French keyboard, that needs to hold shift key to get digits on main keyboard so the default shortcuts for select/move/rotate are clumsy to use (note that LDPC cheerfully uses unshifted keys...). My first idea was to customize shortkeys to use numeric keypad. The customizer accepts the keys, but when I press OK nothing is done. So I decided to use S/M/R keys. customization went fine, help bubble shows the right shortcut... but only 'M' works, S and R keys have no effect Sad
I really would like to have the project file manager explained.
A few items how I use them
Philo Wrote:- How do I mirror a selection?
Under "Merge/Split" I use the "Scale" function to mirror by X, Y and Z axis. Just put a "-1" in there
Philo Wrote:- Is there a good method to use that pesky manipulator? I have the feeling that it is NEVER in the right place - and often has not the desired orientation...
a) If you selected an item or prim and you have selected what you want to do with it (move/rotate) then double click on it. It will move to the items origin. That's handy for slanted quads etc.
b) another method is to use the drop down menu next to the globe to orient the manipulator or move it.
Philo Wrote:- Is there a way to customize color toolbar? I desperately miss color 24!
If color 16 is selected and you draw a line it will be color 24
Unfortunately, things can go wrong in the field...
- On my XP machine, for some reason (I did nothing special for that!), Java is not in the path.
[attachment=2171]
I had to use an explicit path to be able to run the 32/64bits check, and also had to modify run.bat. I guess I could as well add Java folder to the path, but...

- Od my Seven machine, Java is in the path, but 'version' class is not found.
[attachment=2172]
I figured out that since my 7 was 64bit the JRE was probably 64bit too... and this was indeed the case.
LDPE works fine on both machines.
Quick notes about user interface:
- I find the usage of LDPE toolbars much more explicit on XP than on Seven, the push/release 3D look on XP is far, far more explicit than the vague blue hue of activated button on Seven. I know 3D look is not fashion, but could it be possible to have it nonetheless on Seven (or more)? This legibility issue have been raised by Willy here: http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?t...0#pid20910

- I don't find the mode (vertices/lines/surfaces/subpart) select very convenient. If I want to work on a part section that typically contains all styles of elements (eg. to copy it) I have to select each class separately - extremely tedious! (granted, maybe I didn't understood something, or my workflow is buggy?). I think that it would be much more convenient if each of these buttons actually acted as on/off filters, allowing or disabling selection of each class.

- I'd really like to be able so get bigger thumbnails in the primitives bin. I had some hopes when I found the "set icons size" but it seems to act only on toolbar buttons?

- Maybe related to last point here: On both my XP (32bit) and Seven (64bit) machines I configured space bar as alternate middle mouse button shortcut. It works in the main window on both machines (with some focus issues already mentionned), but I can't rotate the primitive preview thumbnails using spacebar on the XP machine, I have to use MMB.
Gerald Lasser Wrote:Under "Merge/Split" I use the "Scale" function to mirror by X, Y and Z axis. Just put a "-1" in there
OK, why not... But then, the purpose of some manipulator actions is very mysterious to me (swap the manipulator xy axis, intert manipulator x axis)!?!

Quote:a) If you selected an item or prim and you have selected what you want to do with it (move/rotate) then double click on it. It will move to the items origin. That's handy for slanted quads etc.

Yup, handy!!!
Quote:b) another method is to use the drop down menu next to the globe to orient the manipulator or move it.
Yeah, that's what I used. How heavy and clumsy!
Quote:If color 16 is selected and you draw a line it will be color 24
Makes (a lot of) sense!

You got some private tutoring by Nils, didn't you? Wink
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Is there a way to customize color toolbar? I desperately miss color 24!

Just found this out:

e.g. to change Light Grey (7) to Light Bluish Grey (71)
- hold CTRL key and click on the color to change, e.g. color 7
- The color selection dialogue pops up
- select the new color (e.g. 71)
- click OK

Done
Great, even if color 24 problem issue is not one actually! new grey and brown are indeed more useful nowadays...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5