LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LPub3D - page layout on multistep pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When I make instructions with LPub3D everything is fine as long as I use one step per page.
However, when I include more than one step on a page several things get out of control
  1. The steps cling together at the vertical centre of the page.
    I have found out that using 0 !LPUB RESERVE 0.1 will help me separate them, but ideally I would want the first step to start at the same location it would be if it was a single step on a page.

2. The steps cling together at the horizontal centre of the page.
    I have not found a way to make PLIs stay on the same (horizontal) spot between pages (e.g. always at 2cm from the left margin). Instead they dance around the page depending on the width of the view of the model

Am I missing something or are those the current limitations of the program?
Hi Jetro,

For me, step groups appear to be working as I expect; however, I have not tested extensively with callouts. I understand there are some issues with placement from another reported issue but I'm not sure what to make of what you are reporting.

If it's not too much trouble for you, can you send some screenshots of what you expect and what LPub3D is producing ?

Perhaps you can use an older version of the application to produce your desired output as a point of reference.

This is what I get when I process a step group page - i.e. multi-step page:

[attachment=1972]
I'm attaching three screengrabs of a file I was working on today. The first is a single step. For the second a third I simply added two steps per page. As you can see not only is the PLI in a different place in page 2, but page 2 and 3 have different horizontal PLI placement.

Some other curious things can be seen in the images.
Whenever I use the refresh button to implement any changes I have made in the text of the ldr or mpd file the file editor pane shows the file as can be seen in the first image. No big deal, because as soon as I click on the text it shows normal again.

I have no idea why in the second image the first PLI has the parts next to each other and the second below each other.

As you can see when you view the images in rapid succession, the PLI boxes "dance" all over the screen. It looks like PLI and model are glued to each other and then displayed in the horizontal centre, while the steps glued together together are displayed in the vertical centre of the page.
As far as I can tell, this behaviour was the same in "regular" LPub
Indeed. And I wondered then as well if maybe I was missing something.
Looking at the page Trevor shows above I have a feeling there are some tricks I have missed.
Ok - you may be inheriting defaults which is giving you behavior you do not expect. Or, something(s) are broken.

Try placing and playing with some globals and see if the page organization improve. Here are some I use:

Code:
0 !LPUB RESOLUTION GLOBAL 150 DPI
0 !LPUB ASSEM MODEL_SCALE GLOBAL .75000
0 !LPUB ASSEM MARGINS GLOBAL 0.1270 0.5000
0 !LPUB CALLOUT INSTANCE_COUNT FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB CALLOUT STEP_NUMBER FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB CALLOUT PLI PER_STEP GLOBAL FALSE
0 !LPUB CALLOUT BORDER GLOBAL ROUND 1 #ffffcc 0 15 MARGINS 0.0499994 0.0499994
0 !LPUB CALLOUT BACKGROUND GLOBAL COLOR "#ffffcc"
0 !LPUB CALLOUT ASSEM MARGINS GLOBAL 0.3000 0.3000
0 !LPUB BOM MODEL_SCALE GLOBAL 0.5000
0 !LPUB BOM ANNOTATE FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB BOM ANNOTATE FONT_COLOR GLOBAL "#0000ff"
0 !LPUB BOM INSTANCE_COUNT FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB BOM BACKGROUND GLOBAL COLOR "#4f9eff"
0 !LPUB PLI MODEL_SCALE GLOBAL 0.6000
0 !LPUB PLI ANNOTATE FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB PLI ANNOTATE FONT_COLOR GLOBAL "#0055ff"
0 !LPUB PLI BORDER GLOBAL ROUND 1 Black 0 15 MARGINS 0.472439 0.07
0 !LPUB PLI INSTANCE_COUNT FONT GLOBAL "Arial,18,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB PLI BACKGROUND GLOBAL COLOR "#bbd1ff"
0 !LPUB PLI BORDER GLOBAL ROUND 1 Black 0.03125 15 MARGINS 0.05 0.05
0 !LPUB PAGE BORDER GLOBAL NONE 1 MARGINS 0.019685 0.019685
0 !LPUB PAGE SIZE GLOBAL 9.8425 11.6929
0 !LPUB PAGE MARGINS GLOBAL 0.0197 0.0197
0 !LPUB PAGE BACKGROUND GLOBAL COLOR "#4f9eff"
0 !LPUB PAGE DISPLAY_PAGE_NUMBER GLOBAL TRUE
0 !LPUB PAGE TOGGLE_PAGE_NUMBER_PLACEMENT GLOBAL FALSE
0 !LPUB PAGE NUMBER FONT GLOBAL "Arial,36,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP ASSEM MARGINS GLOBAL 0.3000 0.3000
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP STEP_NUMBER FONT GLOBAL "Arial,36,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB MULTI_STEP SEPARATOR GLOBAL 0.03125 #ffffcc 0.5 0.05
0 !LPUB STEP_NUMBER FONT GLOBAL "Arial,36,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0"
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_COVER_IMAGE FILE GLOBAL "C:/Users/Trevor/Desktop/LPub/42039S/24HrCar.png"
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_LOGO_FRONT SCALE  0.3381
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_TITLE_FRONT COLOR "#000000"
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_TITLE_FRONT PLACEMENT LOCAL LEFT PAGE INSIDE 0.00283286 -0.0954091
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_COVER_IMAGE SCALE  1.4635
0 !LPUB PAGE DOCUMENT_COVER_IMAGE PLACEMENT LOCAL CENTER PAGE INSIDE 0.0319602 0.15541
0 !LPUB INSERT COVER_PAGE FRONT

Regards,
Thanks Philo. This is good to know as it makes fixing a lot more efficient.
Jetro, it could still be helpful to understand what behavior you were expecting. This way, I can better determine if there is anything to fix or just to improve.

Cheers,
I was mainly curious to know if there was something I was doing wrong.

I would like to be able to control where PLIs go in multistep pages so they can always align in the same way horizontally (e.g 3 cm from the left border.

A would also like to be able to control the separation between PLIs and the actual model , but I suspect that may be in one of the commands you posted from your personal setup
It seems indeed to go wrong (or rather unexpected) when using a callout on a multistep page.
I try to avoid it, but you can place the callout relative to the page. Then playing with the stepgroup placement you can get results.
The arrow from that callout does also do strange things.
I'll try to come up with an example of that.
Pages: 1 2 3