LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Re-centering model (in Bricksmith)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aloha,

Is there any way that I can change the origin's coordinates in Bricksmith (or somewhere else)? I have models whose origin is nowhere near where I would like it, so it makes it hard to, for example, rotate them. It would be nice if one could see the coordinate axes and one could manually drag the model relative to them.

Mahalo,

Ramón
Although I don't use Bricksmith I absolutely think this is a great idea. Especially for MPDs where you might want the origin at a hinge, but only after building everything. The number of times I've 'select all -> move' to shift the origin is uncountable.

Also... Roland!
Building models around the origin (especially for hinged features, as Tim mentions) is really useful. The first thing I add to every new model I build in Bricksmith is this simple little "XYZ axes" submodel:
Code:
0 FILE axes.ldr
2 4 -1000 0 0 1000 0 0
2 2 0 -1000 0 0 1000 0
2 1 0 0 -1000 0 0 1000
0 NOFILE
Then, while building, I insert a reference to these axes at the origin of every other submodel, so I can clearly see where the origin is. Then if you need to move things things to the origin you can select them (not including the axes) and drag or move them around.

Of course you can insert multiple instances as references for other important points, too - like guidelines in a CAD program.

(Hmm, incidentally I'm noticing some glitches in Bricksmith 2.5.1 when viewing this submodel pasted into a file. Only the endpoint "knobs" seem visible unless I save and reload the file. I'll try to determine more specifically what's going on.)
Tim Gould Wrote:Also... Roland!

To rotate a selection around something else then one of the parts in the selection you can use a (temporary) marker (or just any part you temporary place somewhere), somewhat undocumented i know Smile

Second method should work in any editor that supports multi selection.
Yes I know this trick and use it all the time. But it would be great to be able to shift the origin of a submodel or model. I've even written scripts to do this before but having it native to an editor would be so much better.

Tim
Tim Gould Wrote:Yes I know this trick and use it all the time. But it would be great to be able to shift the origin of a submodel or model. I've even written scripts to do this before but having it native to an editor would be so much better.

Tim

In LDCad you can use the part property dialog (enter key) while a selection is active. The position in that dialog is the one of the first selected (main part) but all others in the selection will move relatively to it.

Or do you mean something like mlcad's 'ROTATION CENTER' meta?
Hi Roland,

I'll have to find some time to play around more with LDCad before commenting further on specifics.

But my specific desire is (as I think Ramon desires too):

To have an option to select a point in an LDraw file (whether that be the origin of a part or an 'axis part') and shift the origin to that point, whether that be in a main model or a submodel.

Not that I'm be any means demanding it but I do think it would be a nice feature.

Tim
Tim Gould Wrote:But my specific desire is (as I think Ramon desires too):

To have an option to select a point in an LDraw file (whether that be the origin of a part or an 'axis part') and shift the origin to that point, whether that be in a main model or a submodel.
Tim

In Bricksmith, once you find that point (x,y,z), do the following:
  1. Edit > Select All
  2. Edit > Move
  3. Enter the inverse of each coordinate (-x, -y, -z)
  4. Click Move
Not automated, but workable.

Allen
Hehe. Done that one too in MLCAD. The number of workarounds people have found for this makes me think it would be nice to automate Wink

Tim
I've added (shift+c) to next LDCad version, it will move the whole model in such away the selection lands on 0,0,0.

If needed I could also make it (different shortkey) so only the selection it self moves (not the whole model)?
Awesome! That's excellent news.

Tim