LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDraw OMR website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Ah, I see. You have about the same thing in mind as a lot of other people here; that users can submit their own files. As I explained in one of my other posts here, I highly doubt it that's worth the effort.

Aside from the fact if it's possible to integrate the current authentication in the framework I'm using at the moment (python in combination with Django framework) or not, do we really need "an equivalent submission, review and certification process to parts". I mean, the current OMR (or what exists of it) is also managed by 1 person and isn't really checked except for OMR compliance.

And in the end, the files are not as 'important' as the parts right? I mean, people make the LDraw files of sets for fun and people download them for fun. It doesn't matter that much if the file isn't certified by x amount of people and checked for a long list of errors. If it is correct and not a complete mess, it's fine for 99% of the time the file is used. For parts that is much more important. In my opinion this OMR-site should be seen as some kind of 'extra service' to users.

But I'm open to discuss other possibilities Smile
I agree with Merlijn on this one. Requiring OMR conformity is already quite frightening for the average user, a certification process would even more detract potential contributors.
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:I actually started to doubt that too yesterday. It suddenly dawned on me that 'Offical' in OMR can mean 2 things:
- It can mean that the specification is about 'Offical LEGO sets'.
- It can mean that the repository is 'Official' as in managed by LDraw.org itself.

I'm not sure which one it actually is, but I think it's the first one. In that case calling it OMR is of course not correct. Any suggestions? Smile
I think it was supposed to be the second one (a long time ago). But this might be a somewhat restricted approach to use.

Maybe you should just drop the 'O' and call it a generic model repository and just add a tag/flag to indicate if it's OMR. This way people can also do donate MOC's etc.

Just my 2cts
Just in case anyone is interested: I've updated the website again. Although it's questionable if the website will ever come online, it's just a nice learning experience for me Smile

It's difficult to show the new things when the website is just locally on my PC, but one of the major things I've added is a file-detail page aside from the set-detail page. A set page shows some basic information about the set and all files in the database for that set. A file page shows a specific file and its information. At the moment there's also a blank area where either a generated image of the file should come or a browser-based viewer (I've tried Brigl, but I couldn't get it to work). The file-detail page also shows the file header. Although I think the header doesn't have much use, it does look nice Wink
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:And in the end, the files are not as 'important' as the parts right? I mean, people make the LDraw files of sets for fun and people download them for fun.
I think people model parts mainly for fun too, and whilst part quality might be more important to the commuinity than model quality, I would like to see the LDraw 'brand' maintain its reputation for high quality deliverables.

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:It doesn't matter that much if the file isn't certified by x amount of people and checked for a long list of errors.

I didn't suggest a value for 'x', just that a certification process is my preference. Although for parts x=3, for models it might only need to be 1 (anyone, or the OMR admin).

Merlijn Wissink Wrote:If it is correct and not a complete mess, it's fine for 99% of the time the file is used.
That's the whole point of a certification process. Despite their best efforts, authors make mistakes so it makes sense [to me] to have some peer review.

I do think authentication is important to ensure that authors are happy for the LDraw organisation to share their work.
As it is now, there's already some kind of (basic) review before a model gets added, since only an admin can add files. If that admin does its job well, there's a minimal 'risk' of having files with errors on the website. Of course it's not a full review process on the website itself, but it's a review nonetheless.

Of course, it would be possible to allow authorized LDraw users to upload their files themselves and let them check by an admin before they get showed to the public. It's the same as the paragraph above, except that a user can upload the files themselves instead of sending them (or adding them onto the forum or something like that). And, as I said before, I wonder if it's worth the work to add that little bit of extra functionality (aside from the fact if I would even be able to, since I'm quite new to Python and Django).

How does the current authentication system work? Is it completely custom or does it use any of standard/framework/protocol?
Merlijn Wissink Wrote:How does the current authentication system work? Is it completely custom or does it use any of standard/framework/protocol?
It uses a custom Perl module to query the user properties in the Phorum database.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current situation is that we do not have a model repository present at LDraw.org.
If this only turns out as a single place, to better find all the present files, stored somewere in the forum or at Eurobricks, I'm OK with it.

All I personally ask for is that we stay away from the word "official" in this context.
Create a page that makes it easy to find files, but inform the user about the status of the files.

I really want a review process (by more than one person), but I also want a better way to find all the models allready made.
Lets start with a collecting, searchable page, but lets also think ahead of the next step, a review process.
+1

w.
You'll get the site online. It just that it's the holiday season and I have a lot of other stuff going on. I'll have webspace setup before the new year for you try out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12