LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.4 Beta Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello,

as promised, here is the new feature release 0.8.4 Wink
In the meantime, I prepare the migration to Java 8. Later releases will require Java 8.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
You can download LPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:

With this release you will be able to...
  • ...use the new "MeshReducer" tool, to simplify generated CSG meshes.
  • ...use a more "aggressive" T-junction-finder (can destroy the mesh geometry under some circumstances!)
  • ...use the "Move on Line" function, to move a vertex on a line between two vertices (its a beta tool! Soon I will explain how to use this.)

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files. Especially, "Undo" and "Redo" should work now fine.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LPE.

Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LPE 0.8.4 was carefully tested and developed, there are already known issues for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.
Something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".

LPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 2.5GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB

Recommended Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.
Some issues:

* If there isn't anything selected the shortcuts 1, 2, 3, ... for Select, Move, ... as well F2, F3, F4 ain't working
* Is there a way to move the Manipolator icons to a toolbar?
* How to show condlines properly

w.
Hi Willy,

thanks for your feedback!
I created issues for the bugs and feature requests which were mentioned by you.
Unfortunately, I don't understand the question "How to show condlines properly?"...

Today I released version 0.8.4b.
This version includes two bug fixes regarding "Merge to Nearest..." and "Move Subfile To Manipulator".

It is also the first release which requires Java 8.

Cheers,

Nils
Hello Nils,

Today I can't start 0.8.4b. It has been running (I think) before.
I see this in the error log:
Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!

Win7 64, Java 8 Update 66 (64-bit)
Hi,

as a response to Magnus Forsbergs post, I did release a bugfix version.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
You can download LPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:

With the release of 0.8.4c the following issues are fixed:
  • Fixed a critical bug within the primitive sorting algorithm (crash on start!)
  • Fixed a bug which disabled the possibility to split a condline.
  • Fixed a bug which could trigger an exception when the "Single Vertex Manipulation" (aka 'SyncEdit') was active
  • Fixed a bug for "Merge to nearest line" / "TJunctionFinder". They did not ignore control point lines from condlines.
  • Leading spaces from the file header stopped the header validation.
  • It was possible to modify read-only files with the functions from the "Selection:" tab.

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files. Especially, "Undo" and "Redo" should work now fine.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LPE.

Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LPE 0.8.4 was carefully tested and developed, there are already known issues for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.
Something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".

LPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 2.5GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB

Recommended Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB

How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.
Hi Nils,

I had great fun preparing these.

1.)
Is it posible to turn of the internal Rectifier?
Everytime I hit Save, in the text editor, it creates rect-prims I don't want.

2.)
The internal Rectifier creates rect-prims that are scaled in three dimensions.

3.)
How do I create a subfile?
I want to select all in same colour, then move them to a subfile.
The Selector from Philo does a neat trick: Select all in the same colour, and move selection to the end of the file.

4.)
Why doesn't the Save button in the viewer do the same thing as the Save button in the text editor?
Save button in the viewer wants to create/save a project and starts to create a number of folders when I use it.
Save button in the editor simply saves my file.

5.)
Where and when can I read a manual on how to use LPE?

6.)
Is it possible to change the position of the light source?
When I zoom in close, the interesting area sometimes end up being shaded, or to dark to work with.
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:4.)
Why doesn't the Save button in the viewer do the same thing as the Save button in the text editor?
Save button in the viewer wants to create/save a project and starts to create a number of folders when I use it.

And is there a trick to "Save as..."?

w.
Magnus Forsberg Wrote:6.)
When I zoom in close, the interesting area sometimes end up being shaded, or to dark to work with.

The light source is reset if you double click the left mouse button.

Found it out with when Nils advised the double click to center the manipulator to a primitive.
Hello Magnus,

I will try to answer your questions:

Is it possible to turn of the internal Rectifier?
Everytime I hit Save, in the text editor, it creates rect-prims I don't want.

This is a bug! LPE 0.8.4c does not rectify on save. Rectifier creates accidentally rect#.dat primitives on the whole file when "Split" and "Slicerpro" were used. It will be fixed with the release of 0.8.4d. I fixed and tested it already in my developer version.

The internal Rectifier creates rect-prims that are scaled in three dimensions.

This is a bug, too... I will try to fix it with the next release.

How do I create a subfile?
I want to select all in same colour, then move them to a subfile.
The Selector from Philo does a neat trick: Select all in the same colour, and move selection to the end of the file.

This is a new feature, which is easy to implement. You can already sort by colour with the text editor window as a temporary workaround. Regarding the subfile creation, you can create a subpart by clicking on "New Part File" (text- or 3D-editor) and choose the "S" folder as a target location. The philosophy of LDPE is to represent each project as a fraction of the real LDraw library structure. A project has its own "P","8","48", "PARTS" and "S" folders to be compliant with the library structure.

This is a GUI issue. The program needs a better GUI design to distinguish between "Projects" and "Part Files"... and it needs also a "Save As..." feature.

Where and when can I read a manual on how to use LPE?

You can read a manual on JC's page and here is my official wiki. Both are WIP.

6.)
When I zoom in close, the interesting area sometimes end up being shaded, or to dark to work with.[/quote]

You can either turn off the lights (View Actions -> Lights) or reset the light source with a double click (LMB) on a location in the 3D space. The double click sets also the center of rotation and the manipulator to this location.

Leg godt

Nils
Nils Schmidt Wrote:You can read a manual on JC's page

It would be awesome if one of our French friends could translate this thing - or at least revise Mr. Google's work:

https://translate.google.com/translate?s...&edit-text=

w.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5