LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Help with Bricksmith and LPub
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aloha,

I created a model with Bricksmith and then I did the instructions with LPub. When I open the result in Bricksmith, it does not know how to parse it.

Is there a way that I can get the two to co-exist? Right now, when I want to modify the model I have to re-generate the instructions in LPub.

I have attached the original (lpr) and the instructions (mpd).

Mahalo,

Ramón
In all likelihood Bricksmith doesn't recognized some/all of the LPub meta commands. A file modified for use in LPub will look strange when open in a regular editor.
The lpub output file has unix lineends (\n) and the original has has DOS lineends (\r\n).

Perhaps you can feed the lpub output file through a unix2dos converter before opening it in bricksmith.
I would highly surprised if Bricksmith couldn't handle unix line endings.
Me too, but it's probably worth a try to convert the file.
Aloha,

It is not the line endings. It chokes on the meta commands. If the LPub file is simple it can handle it.

Mahalo,

Ramón
Aloha,

I compared the files and the only differences are:

1. line endings (which I ruled out as the cause of the problems).
2. Capitalization of some names (unlikelly cause).
3. The LPub meta commands (the likely cause).

Mahalo,

Ramón
Incidentally, the only LDraw programs I'm aware of that cannot handle UNIX line endings are James Jessiman's original LDRAW and EDIT programs. In my non-exhaustive testing of 15+ other programs on multiple platforms I encountered no evident compatibility problems: anoved.net/2010/01/ldraw-line-endings/
Hi Ramón,

What version of Bricksmith are you using? I ask because I am using Bricksmith 2.5.1 (on Mac OS X 10.7.2) and it doesn't seem to have any trouble opening both of the files you've attached (see below).

[Image: f1-racer-lpub-bricksmith-300x168.jpg]

Has anyone else tested opening the files in Bricksmith? What is your experience?

Jim

(Additionally - I'm not convinced that LPub meta statements could be to blame because like all meta commands they are type 0 lines, which are just ignored as comments if not recognized.)
Doh! I was running 2.5. It seems 2.5.1 solves the problem, yay!

Mahalo a Plenty!

Ramón
Super!

Looking at the version history, I'm guessing the issue was something to do with the last line of the file - the LPub output ends with a newline, whereas the original file did not. Version 2.5 probably expected the file to end with "0 NOFILE" and no newline.
All LPub Metacommands should parse in any other program like comments because they start with a 0 (zero).
But I see updating Bricksmith solves your problem.