LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Using LPC to make Two Sided Minifig Torso
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so let me know if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

I am in the process of making designs using LPC (LDraw Pattern Creator) for some models. The specific part I was looking for (the Astro Torso from the Mars Mission theme) is not in the parts library and I have not seen it in the parts tracker, so I decided to make it myself.

I used Inkscape and a few web images to make rough-but-good-enough SVG files for both the front and back, and exported them as a file to use as a background in LPC. What I can't figure out is how to apply the different patterns to the different sides of the torso.

I'm quite a noob at this sort of thing, so any help is much appreciated.
* Design the front and export File > Export as DAT > Project on XY plane (-z, Front)
* Design the back and export File > Export as DAT > Project on XY plane (+z, Back)
* Fire up LDDP and copy all lines into one single file
* Move out the front -10 LDU
* Move out the back +10 LDU
* Add minifig torso subfile and neck mark (check other torsi for reference)

0 // Front
0 // Medium Dark Flesh
4 84 -1.33 2.75 -10 -3.07 2.92 -10 -1.17 3.04 -10 -0.93 2.85 -10
0 // Back
0 // Yellow
4 14 0 1.2 10 6.5 1.2 10 6.41 1.6 10 5.935 1.84 10
0 // Minifig Torso
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\973s01.dat
0 // Neck mark
1 0 0 -4 0 4.243 0 -4.243 0 -8 0 -4.243 0 -4.243 1-4cyli.dat

Hope this helps,

w.
Just a hint : You can directely export SVG files to ldraw format using svgtodat. Then you only need to retriangulate instead of using it as a background. This is the method I use for patterns.
I think I tried this, but couldn't make the program work on my computer. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was; I tried so many converters on that particular day.
I'll give this a go, but I may need a little more help. What exactly is all the extra coding in your message?
Okay, I did most of this... I think.

I'm guessing that I shouldn't have exported it the way I did, because now the back pattern is coplanar with the torso part that came along witht the exportation of the front texture (because it was templated for a minifigure tosrso). This coplanar zone has that awful half-in-half-out look when both faces try to occupy the same space.
Post your part and let's see what's wrong.

w.
Okay, I attempted to attach the file...
Well, you simply need to remove the lines 3, 4 and 5 from your uploaded file. ;-)
Anyway - you did a great job with the pattern. It looks very well.

/Max
Agree with Max - great job! Are you sure about the neck mark's color 16? Which set does the torso come from?

w.
Pages: 1 2