LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.4b (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Due to a very nasty bug I'm releasing the 1.4b version only 4 days after 1.4a, it's a new record Smile

This only difference in this version to the previous one are two bugfixes related to path content.

You'll find the update here:

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/download

If you don't want to do a complete reinstall (e.g. due custom modified bin/gui files) you can also upgrade to 1.4b by getting the archive version and manually coping the main executable inside it over the 1.4a one at your install location.

Hopefully this version will last longer.
User interface wishes...
- I think that when you change filter field the parts scroll bar should be reset to top (often wonder why I don't see the part I look for because I begin to scroll down...)
- When I switch to another program window and come back to LDCad, the 1st click activates LDCad window but doesn't do the action (eg. when clicking on a toolbar button). This can be considered a design choice, but next clicks on the same button are not active either unless you move mouse.
- I wish I had a "move selection to current step" in reorganize menu
...of course these are only wishes Wink
(edit) I also have issues figuring in advance what will be the rotation performed by arrow keys / pgup pgdn when placing a part. I think it would be easier if orientation was fixed (eg. left-right aways rotate around world Y axis), regardless of view direction. I know I can toggle auto editing plane, but it's too convenient with move or rotate tools...
You are right the filter should cause a scroll reset, I'll change that for the next version.

The program switch protection is in place as it caused problems (more so in Linux) not doing so. I'll see if I can improve it so wont' need to wait for a mouse move.

"move selection to current step" is already in the reorganize menu, the first item, it's called "move to step". It opens a submenu listing all steps (which you can pin if you have multiple selections to move). A follow up click on any of those step numbers will move the selection there.

The new part rotation currently tries to map the keys in releation to the view direction, so up/down is always horizontal rotation, left/right vertical and pgup/pgdn 'clock' rotation. But this is not always perfect as it depends on the parts orientation and camera etc. I do agree it's not perfect though, as I too sometimes need to do a couple of wrong rotations before getting it right. The home key might help as it resets the part rotation to the current grid orientation.

I'll see if I can improve and or add an option like you described to this feature.
Quote:"move selection to current step" is already in the reorganize menu, the first item, it's called "move to step". It opens a submenu listing all steps (which you can pin if you have multiple selections to move). A follow up click on any of those step numbers will move the selection there.
Yes, I use that. What I meant is really "current" step, I find it convenient to select parts, move to the step where they should be and then place parts in current step. This offer visual feedback that a single step number doesn't provide. Now I am aware that this works nicely only to move parts to a later step, so it may not be such a good idea...
(edit) maybe the solution could be - with current move to step implementation - to scroll and highlight current step in the list...
I completely read over the 'current step' part, sorry.

I'll add the option to the reorganize menu as it's a simple variant of the other moves.
I also like your idea of highlighting the current step in the step list menu, so I'll add that too.

Thanks.
Hi all,

At the moment I haven't got the time to make some real progress with 1.5, so I decided to put some time into setting up better documentation as I can do that in smaller blocks of time.

It's a work in progress but I've rewritten the getting started page and created a general gui introduction page as the first part of a full manual which will replace the old quick manual in time.

Over the next couple of days (weeks) I'll be adding more and more pages but I was wondering if people could proof read along and or give me some pointers on the content etc.

Also if anyone would like to see some specific subjects / tasks documented let me know.
I like documentation, I have a bad habit of doing things the hard way. I'd love to read it.
I've added (the start of) the FAQ page

Feel free to post additional questions you like to see answered on that page here.
You are doing a very useful job here Wink

A few typos...
in Getting started page:
- Windows LDraw AIOI Probalby the easist -> Probably the easiest
In GUI intro:
- (icons) Go to the fist building step of the current model/li> (/li> at the end, same on few following lines)
- (parts bin) ether links to groups or things -> either links to groups or things
- (parts bin) In order to get the hang of the part bin it self -> In order to get the hang of the part bin itself
- (editing) It will load the LDCad mascot model you'll probably seen -> It will load the LDCad mascot model you've probably seen
- (editing)therefore to big a subject to do in this general GUI introduction. It will off course -> therefore too big a subject to do in this general GUI introduction. It will of course

About icons: Manual selection move/rotation/center move, maybe numerical instead of manual would be better?

In FAQ:
- (red crosses) or it's not available readable at all -> or it's not available or readable at all (???)
- (red crosses) would be to reset the (main.cfg) LDCad configuration -> would be to delete the (main.cfg) LDCad configuration (???)
- (red crosses) re-asking of the LDraw library at it's next start up -> re-asking of the LDraw library at its next start up
- Where does LDCad keep it's configuration files? -> Where does LDCad keep its configuration files? (I remember the early days of my website, a guy contacted me about the confusion I made often between "it's" and "its" Wink - there are a few more instances of this one later on in faq.
Thanks Philippe, I've fixed your findings.

Pretty obvious the thing about it's and its but somehow I almost always automatically type it's. I used to do the same thing with your and you're Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10