LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDConfig Confusion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well, I guess that's a little step backwards to the need of post-processing the output POV file. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong though!

The two variables (or are they constants? Doesn't matter.) LDXCameraLoc and LDXCameraLookAt are clearly defined without any confusing if-statments. I like that!

This is getting interesting. Smile
Hi Tore,

When I used l3p (the older version) I had to hand-edit every single POV file it generated to make it use my own various includes and other alterations to make nice renders. I also had to add details, extract information by eye etc.

With LDView export I do all this in an include, using all the parameters that LDView spits out (no more numbers to be dealt with!), and automate just about everything I like to do to POV. For this reason alone I simply love LDView output.

It takes some time to set up, but once you set LDView output to your taste it is incredibly excellent.

Tim

PS. Although as a caveat I did give a lot of feedback during its development so it may be tweaked somewhat to my personal desires Wink
Now it was my turn to look a word up: "caveat". Never seen it before. Smile

And, I'm sorry, I don't understand at all the whole paragraph "With LDView export I do all this in an include, using all the parameters that LDView spits out (no more numbers to be dealt with!), and automate just about everything I like to do to POV. For this reason alone I simply love LDView output."

How can you do that when even include files aren't supported in the command line, as far as I can see?

The only way I see is that inline POV still is supported by LDView (but strongly discouraged by the LDraw Elite, so for how long...?) so I can still add

0 L3P IFPOV
0 #include "hills.pov"
0 L3P ENDPOV

into the LDraw file - at least in the current version of LDView.
Tore Eriksson Wrote:The only way I see is that inline POV still is supported by LDView (but strongly discouraged by the LDraw Elite, so for how long...?)

Only in Official Library files. You own personal stuff is perfectly fine.
In the POV Export options in LDView, there is a "Top include filename" and "Bottom include filename". If you enter any text in those fields, LDView will add #include statements at the top and/or bottom of the file to include the given file(s). The top include happens after all the LDX #declare statements, so you can redefine any of them you want inside your include. And all my color declarations are inclosed in #ifndef, so if you want to have your own custom color declarations, just use the same names LDView generates (for example, LDXColor1 for color number 1). The bottom one is the last line of the file. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it's good for, but I think Tim probably requested it.

As a side note, many of the export settings have tooltip help associated with them. So, for example, if you hover the mouse over the top include filename text field, it will describe what the field is used for.
Hi Tore,

LDview allows you to specify two global include files in the export options. One called early (to define eg. colours) and one called right at the end of the file (to eg. override the camera, include backgrounds etc.),

So most of your customisations can be included in generic include files. I've attached my default one with custom lighting and floors (defined via a second file).

Tim
> The bottom one is the last line of the file.
> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it's good
> for, but I think Tim probably requested it.

I did Smile

Most importanly, by having it at the end of the file you can override the camera (since you can only ever have one camera) if you wish. This is especially important if you want to make animations.

It also allows you to make simple hand or automated edits just before the include file (eg. to define parameters for a given file that are passed to a generic include file). I think there's some other operations that should also be defined last if present though I can't think of them off-hand.

Tim
Sorry for being such a pain, but how exactly can I override the camera? If I redeclare LDXCameraLoc and LDXCameraLookAt at the end of the POV file, that wouldn't change the camera settings since those varibles are already used in the camera block. That would be a new camera block I guess? (if Pov-ray accepts such re-declarations, I'm not sure.)
You simply redeclare the camera in the include file called last and that will override all previous cameras.

So yes, a completely new camera block is all you need, provided it is called in the last include file.

Tim
Thank you very much, Tim. Now I have something to play with this night, too... Smile

/Tore
Pages: 1 2 3