LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Stud Groups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It sounds good except for two minor things. In the first sentence, "Stud group" should be "Stud groups". In the last sentence, I feel "should" should be "must".
I think the difference in strength of enforcement between "should" and "must" is greater in American English than in UK English. Or maybe it's my personal usage. I tend to treat them as equivalent, with "should" seeming more polite. In refererence to scaling, I think I have used "should" elsewhere in the Primitives Reference, which I assume is where Willy wants this to appear.
I was basing it on what I had seen in other specifications. In specifications, there is actually a very big difference between should and must. See RFC 2119.
This seems very clean and practical.

Only thing I can think of is maybe limit the XxZ variant to even numbers. Just a feeling though.
Chris Dee Wrote:In reference to scaling, I think I have used "should" elsewhere in the Primitives Reference, which I assume is where Willy wants this to appear.

This comes directly form your Primitives Reference page. Re-reading the notes in my English lessons book (I remotely remember using it in another life, ages ago) I'm going to agree with Travis:

"Must is stronger than should and ought. Must expresses certainty. Should/ought to expresses probability."

w.
Having done some research of my own, I agree. I have updated the Primitives Reference to use "must".
Not really a good idea. According tho the Primitives Reference there are already 3x3, 5x5, 7x7, ... out in the wild. Also you could author a:

http://media.peeron.com/ldraw/images/7/3933.png

with 1x8 + 1x6 + 1x4 stugs, but also a combination of 3x3 + 1xZs would do the job, though this would require an additional line.

w.
You are right. I agree.

Do we vote on this now?

Or do we let it 'settle' some more?
We can vote as far as I'm concerned, but I'm open for further discussion, if anyone has anything to say.
Pages: 1 2