LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: How to design removing parts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to motorize my train so that I need to draw removing original parts for space to assmbler battery and receiver, I am not sure how to substrate parts from train, I only know how to add parts to train, can you help me?
Not simple, but you should be able to do that using BUFEXCHG. Can't tell much more, never tried myself...
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Not simple, but you should be able to do that using BUFEXCHG. Can't tell much more, never tried myself...
Thanks for your hint, I will try it.
By the way, can I add some text on instructions? For example, before removing parts with "Motorized Train" and so on.
Two possibilities:
- generate text as LDraw parts using txt2dat tool. Pro: LPub source remains self contained. Con: can be tricky to orient the part not to get weird 3D look.
- Insert external images containing text (in lpub, edit -> add image). Simpler theoretically, better look easily achieved. But external images can be tricky to use especially for multi-step pages, lpub is notoriously buggy there.
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:Two possibilities:
- generate text as LDraw parts using txt2dat tool. Pro: LPub source remains self contained. Con: can be tricky to orient the part not to get weird 3D look.
- Insert external images containing text (in lpub, edit -> add image). Simpler theoretically, better look easily achieved. But external images can be tricky to use especially for multi-step pages, lpub is notoriously buggy there.
I have another idea, use brick with letter to spell word as a ldr part then insert to main, is this ok?
There's also the old school method of opening the files in a graphics editor (e.g. GIMP) and adding the text there Smile

Tim
Tim Gould Wrote:There's also the old school method of opening the files in a graphics editor (e.g. GIMP) and adding the text there Smile

Tim
But my instructions is in PDF format...
LPub does output .png files which can be joined in a .pdf.

My point is that there comes a point where elbow grease has to fill in the blanks. The natural tendency of a computer orientated person (myself included) is to automate everything. But it's not always the best way.

Tim