LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Pirates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will try make better renders later
[Image: 6279_-_skull_island_2.jpg]
It looks more like a grainy photograph than a POV-Ray render. Did you by mistake save it as JPEG first before saving it as PNG?
No. Thats brickshelf probem. It adds bakground. I will later add better version.
I can upload MPD, but it is not mine, so if someone ask i will.
[Image: 6270.jpg]
[Image: 1713_-_shipwrecked_pirate_2.jpg]
This is first Lego set i got in my life))
Nice to see a good use of newly created head pattern Wink
I want to create this one long time ago, but the was not right pattern for head) So i got pattern made by you, and ender it)
[Image: 6232_-_skeleton_crew.jpg]
Added to AIOI. Thx for sharing!

w.
[Image: 6285.png]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]Known errors: None (I needed to slant front mast rigging, I guess that IRL flexibility allows that?)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
Rendered with Studio 2.0

Other images...
[Image: 6285_-_black_seas_barracuda_2.png]
[Image: 6285_-_black_seas_barracuda_3.png]
Wow. What's next Pirates of Barracuda Bay? Unfortunately almost every pattern in that set is new.
(2020-11-02, 13:16)Orion Pobursky Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. What's next Pirates of Barracuda Bay? Unfortunately almost every pattern in that set is new.
Actually it was rather a test of the new sails...
(2020-11-02, 15:39)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it was rather a test of the new sails...

It still looks amazing.
(2020-11-02, 10:56)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]Known errors: None (I needed to slant front mast rigging, I guess that IRL flexibility allows that?)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

The part is pretty bendy in real life, yes. (This was one of the last big sets I get prior to my Dark Age…)

Now the question is, did you use the firing or non-firing cannons for this model?  Big Grin
Philippe, 

Beautiful work!  ^_^  

Franklin
Wow!! Very impressive!!
(2020-11-02, 17:58)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]Now the question is, did you use the firing or non-firing cannons for this model?  Big Grin
It's supposed to be the firing version... even though LDraw model is missing (unseen) spring  Big Grin
Updated... A stowaway pirate managed to sneak in...
(2020-11-04, 18:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]Updated... A stowaway pirate managed to sneak in...
Updated again:
- Was not completely OMR compliant
- Used the wrong pattern for captain's bicorne.
[Image: 6286.png]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]Known errors: None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
Rendered with Studio 2.0

[Image: 6286_-_skull_s_eye_schooner_2.png]
6257 Castaway's Raft (1989)

[attachment=7607]
[attachment=7608]

OMR compliant
Missing items: none
6260 Shipwreck Island (1989)

[attachment=7620]
[attachment=7621]

OMR compliant
6265 Sabre Island (1989)

[attachment=7622]
[attachment=7623]

OMR compliant
6270 Forbidden Island (1989)

Previously submitted the image by Stan, but CC-BY licensed MPD file is not available and rebuilt from scratch.
Thanks Magnus for creating 2528ap31

[attachment=7624]
[attachment=7625]

Currently not OMR compliant (unofficial part not inlined)
6274 Caribbean Clipper (1989)
Thanks Philo for creating the sails!!

[attachment=7636]
[attachment=7637]

Currently not OMR compliant (unofficial part not inlined)
Missing items: Flexible ropes
6276 Eldorado Fortress (1989)
Pirates sets in the launch year 1989 have been complete, thanks Alex and Max for creating the baseplate!!

[attachment=7641]
[attachment=7642]

OMR compliant
Missing items: Flexible rope

EDIT 2022-08-21: Got OMR compliant with Parts Update 2022-04
6234 Renegade's Raft (1991)

[attachment=8017]
[attachment=8018]

OMR compliant
6259 Broadside's Brig (1991)

[attachment=8023]
[attachment=8024]

OMR compliant
6267 Lagoon Lock-Up (1991)

[attachment=8025]
[attachment=8026]

Currently not OMR compliant (Unofficial part not inlined)

EDIT 2022-10-04: Added the sail, thanks Philo
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-26391.html
6273 Rock Island Refuge (1991)

The largest set of Pirates 2nd wave in 1991

[attachment=8029]
[attachment=8030]

EDIT 2022-08-20: Got OMR compliant with 2022-04 parts update release
EDIT 2022-10-04: Added sail, thanks Philo
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-26391.html
1481 Pirates Desert Island (1991)

[attachment=8034]
[attachment=8035]

OMR compliant
6247 Bounty Boat (1992)

[attachment=8303]
[attachment=8304]

OMR compliant
6258 Smuggler's Shanty (1992)

[attachment=8305]
[attachment=8306]

OMR compliant
6261 Raft Raiders (1992)

Waiting for the sail :-) The sail has been arrived!!

[attachment=8332]
[attachment=8333]

OMR compliant
6271 Imperial Flagship (1992)

[attachment=8519]
[attachment=8520]

Missing items: sailbb09/upn0026pr0001(placeholder), sailbb17/upn0027pr0001(substituted with unprinted u9499, but forming is not correct)
6277 Imperial Trading Post (1992)

[attachment=8815]
[attachment=8816]

Missing items: Front/rear sails of trading ship, print on u767, flexible ropes
1464/1696 Pirate Lookout (1992)

[attachment=8824]
[attachment=8825]

OMR compliant
1492 Battle Cove (1992)

[attachment=8835]
[attachment=8836]

OMR compliant
1889 Pirates Treasure Hold (1992)

[attachment=8850]
[attachment=8851]

OMR compliant
Has anyone tried using the Cloth Physics brush in Blender to form sails? I'm thinking it would be easy enough to export an .obj and then convert the triangles back with a little script. I'm working on a ship with similar mast structure to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay version of the BSB and noticed none of these sails are even unofficially in the parts library yet, nevermind formed.
(2023-02-20, 19:51)Thomas Dickerson Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried using the Cloth Physics brush in Blender to form sails? I'm thinking it would be easy enough to export an .obj and then convert the triangles back with a little script. I'm working on a ship with similar mast structure to the Pirates of Barracuda Bay version of the BSB and noticed none of these sails are even unofficially in the parts library yet, nevermind formed.

Okay, so follow-up info on anyone interested in doing this after me:

Blender Cloth Physics modifier in conjunction with animated armatures (to pull the cloth) and collision (to form around the mast itself) works pretty well.
The most important trick is using the linear bending model, instead of the angular bending model.
If you accidentally use the angular bending model, you will find your sails uncontrollably wrinkly no matter how stiff you try to make them.
Linear bending seems to behave more like a nice sheet of paper, which is also similar to the sail fabric Lego uses.

Another useful tip is to use the circle selection tool to set up pretty large vertex groups around the holes (the vertices should be in both your armature group and your pinning group for the cloth simulation), which will hold the corners taut and prevent weird folds as you're placing the sail. Once you have the sail in place, you can animate a Vertex Weight Modifier in conjunction with a mask group to release all of the vertices except the ones directly surrounding the hole, to allow it to take on a natural shape once placed (basically simulating releasing your fingers from the corners).

My final tip is to only model the sail as a single layer of polygons and use the Solidify modifier stacked after the Cloth modifier to actually create the 3D extruded structure *after* the simulation runs.

Here's my WIP on the afore-mentioned rigging:
[attachment=9265]
If only I was more Blender-fluent... I tried several solutions to shape fabrics, but it's always very time consuming. I'd be curious so see the mesh of one of your sails, can you share it?
(2023-03-04, 20:05)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]If only I was more Blender-fluent... I tried several solutions to shape fabrics, but it's always very time consuming. I'd be curious so see the mesh of one of your sails, can you share it?

This has been a learning experience for me for sure - I've used Blender for rendering before, but almost never for mesh editing. The weird quadrilateral sail on the back took me almost two weeks between tracing and forming. This pair of trapezoidal top sails combined only took me about 3 hours. I think the lower sails will be even a bit faster.

I need to do a little cleanup to get these in a shareable state, but I'll try and upload my whole project folder to Google Drive in the next couple days.
My takeaway from this is that what we really need on the LDraw side is less about actual cloth simulation and more about the 3D vertex modification. I wonder if there’s anything in that part of the Blender code that would be suitable for modeling dynamic flat flexible parts in an LDraw editor?
(2023-03-05, 14:03)N. W. Perry Wrote: [ -> ]My takeaway from this is that what we really need on the LDraw side is less about actual cloth simulation and more about the 3D vertex modification. I wonder if there’s anything in that part of the Blender code that would be suitable for modeling dynamic flat flexible parts in an LDraw editor?

Yes. The mesh editor is very nice and lets you switch between arbitrary polygons, triangles, and quads pretty easily. I've also exported some test parts using this plugin: https://github.com/cuddlyogre/ExportLDraw although the project setup is still a little fiddly, the maintainer is quite responsive to issues.

Anyway, I've wrapped up the (non-official-model) project I was working on and ended up modeling 3/4 of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay sails (and the two that are reused I formed in both poses). I didn't end up using the triangular sail and I'm not quite sure that the spacing between my foremast and bowsprit are the same as in PoBB, so I left it undone, but if anyone wants to pick up from my work, this Google Drive folder, contains:
  • High-resolution scans of all 4 original fabric sail shapes
  • Polygonal traces of 3 of the 4 original fabric sail shapes as .blend files
  • A sample project showing how to rig the unformed sails into formed sails.
  • Both formed and unformed exported meshes as .obj (although only the small quadrilateral sail has also been simplified and placed in a canonical orientation)

Given that I have relatively limited hobby time these days, I suspect I won't finish the work myself, but thought someone else might find this a useful resource in the future.