LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: LDCad 1.2a (win+linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Roland Melkert Wrote:Do you see purple edges when you go over it with the mouse?

Edges are only drawn up to al certain distance, so with models this big you will only see them when you are very close up. This is to prevent all gray models because of far away edges bleeding together.

They don't seem to show up however close I am to the model.

Roland Melkert Wrote:you can override this by increasing the 'edgesVisibilityFactor' option in the main.cfg file, but I don't recommend it (performance wise).

Where is main.cfg located? I only see LDCad.cfg in the program directory.

Roland Melkert Wrote:You probably better of by using a stand in version of the landscape using two alternating poly colors (like in the povray renderings)

That is an excellent idea! Do you know how I might accomplish this? There are way too many polygons to do this by hand.

Thanks!!

Mike
Not even the purple 'hot' indication?

main.cfg is located outside program files as per MS guidelines.

It's usually something like:

C:\Users\Roland\AppData\Roaming\LDCad\config\main.cfg

replace ''roland' with your windows user name.

As for the mixed color landscape, doesn't the generator offer this option?

If not writing some post processing script shouldn't be to hard. Replacing the first 16 of each line starting with 3 with e.g. alternating 1 and 4. Or alternate per 2 lines to form quads. This assuming the generator wrote in a row/col or col/row manner.
Roland Melkert Wrote:Not even the purple 'hot' indication?

OK, I had changed the "Selection Indication" setting by mistake. I can see them now.

Roland Melkert Wrote:main.cfg is located outside program files as per MS guidelines.

It's usually something like:

C:\Users\Roland\AppData\Roaming\LDCad\config\main.cfg

replace ''roland' with your windows user name.

Thanks. Problem is, whether or not the edges appear depends on the distance of the camera from the /center/ of the part as opposed to the nearest polygon. Which can be quite large if I am focusing on a distant piece of landscaping.

Roland Melkert Wrote:As for the mixed color landscape, doesn't the generator offer this option?

I am using about a half dozen tools. Are you referring to any one in particular? The output generally doesn't have any materials at all until I assign one in MLCAD.

Roland Melkert Wrote:If not writing some post processing script shouldn't be to hard. Replacing the first 16 of each line starting with 3 with e.g. alternating 1 and 4. Or alternate per 2 lines to form quads. This assuming the generator wrote in a row/col or col/row manner.

I'm not much of a programmer unfortunately. Can one of the LETGUI tools do this?

[edit]

I tried setting edgesVisibilityFactor to 100 but the program seems to be reverting my changes each time it starts.
FYI, somehow my LDCad installation got borked. The program would only load in a tiny window in the top-left portion of the screen, and would not function properly after maximizing. I should have taken screenshots or a video.

All is well now after deleting "AppData\Roaming\LDCad" and re-installing the program. The edge lines show up now like they should.
A couple of observations:

1. I wish you had retained LEdit/MLCAD's part movement commands. For large models like Datsville the on-screen controls are too sluggish/unresponsive to be really useful.
2. I think you should map the middle mouse button to panning the camera. The Selection Properties menu is already accessible from the right-click menu which is already pretty convenient IMO.
3. Is there a way to switch to a "camera movement only" mode where dragging the mouse across the screen does _not_ move the selected part?
4. The part bounding boxes seem to be exaggerated a bit. I.e. they're slightly larger than the actual part. This is a little confusing when trying to align parts next to each other. Is there a way to make the bounding match the part's contours exactly?
Strange, I do know of a minor issue resulting in a tiny window (closing the app from the taskbar while it's not active) but it shouldn't need a reinstall.

Also you don't need to reinstall after a deletion of the roaming files. The default situation will be recreated the next time you start the program.
Michael Horvath Wrote:I'm not much of a programmer unfortunately. Can one of the LETGUI tools do this?
I don't know, maybe one of the script wizards on this board can whip something up for you.

Michael Horvath Wrote:I tried setting edgesVisibilityFactor to 100 but the program seems to be reverting my changes each time it starts.
I don't remember putting limits on the value, I'll have to check this might be bug.
Roland Melkert Wrote:I don't remember putting limits on the value, I'll have to check this might be bug.

It's working OK now, so I don't think it's a bug.
Michael Horvath Wrote:1. I wish you had retained LEdit/MLCAD's part movement commands. For large models like Datsville the on-screen controls are too sluggish/unresponsive to be really useful.
Moving parts using the keyboard is posible, but you need to set the editing pin in the correct mode. By default it's a rotation tool. Using the arrow keys while rotate on step. When set to move the arrow keys will move the selection by one step. You can also use the manual input dialogs (located in the menu bar) for setting exact location/rotation for the selection. Or use the seleciton propery dialog (click on coord panel or enter key)

Michael Horvath Wrote:2. I think you should map the middle mouse button to panning the camera. The Selection Properties menu is already accessible from the right-click menu which is already pretty convenient IMO.
The middle button currently opens a (property)dialog associated with the selection or gui item below the mouse. But you are right panning etc could use some extra attention, I will try to improve general camera interaction in the 1.3 version.

Michael Horvath Wrote:3. Is there a way to switch to a "camera movement only" mode where dragging the mouse across the screen does _not_ move the selected part?
There is a view mode (menu: model/model interaction), but it still uses a rotation dominant interaction.

Michael Horvath Wrote:4. The part bounding boxes seem to be exaggerated a bit. I.e. they're slightly larger than the actual part. This is a little confusing when trying to align parts next to each other. Is there a way to make the bounding match the part's contours exactly?
Yes they use a small margin in both perspective and ortho mode. I could make that optional in a future version.
Are there hotkeys to control the "pin"? I would like to be able to switch between translation and rotation with just a key press.

I want to avoid using the mouse as much as possible.

Mike

[edit]

Also is there a way to get a list of parts and select parts using the list like in MLCAD?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7