LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: n00b who can't add a part
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm a digital Lego newbie getting my head around MLCad, solid piece of work, but I find that part 56145 - a reinforced wheel - doesn't seem to be in the parts list (thought I was being stupid, looked up the part number, ctrl+f says it's really not there). Huh. Do a bit of searching around, and find this: http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg.../56145.dat

OK... gotcha. I'm feeling more up to speed now. So after gazing over the ReadMe I add 56145.dat to LDraw/parts and the 6 subfiles to LDraw/parts/s... restart MLCad, not there... run mklist and run MLCad... no part. OK... so in MLCad I go FileScan Parts... no new parts found... still no part.

Hm.

Are there any pros out there who know what I'm doing wrong? Would greatly appreciate
a bit of advice! If it changes anything I'm running a 64-bit Win-7 environment.

Thanks in advance.

Hamish.
Try to help you.
1. Copy part file to Ldraw\parts
2. Copy all subfiles to Ldraw\parts\s
3. Run Mlcad, then file->Scan Parts
4. Press yes to write new data to file
5. Restart MLCad(no obligatory)
6. Then find you part(by name, or by number)
Thank you Stan,

I've done exactly that and MLCad says there's no new data... I may clean install and try again.

Cheers!!!
In this topic you can find something useful for you. It is file with parts categories. And here you can download all unofficial parts.
Stan you're a knight in Lego armour!

I'll re-install, and put the unofficials in my models folder as per the suggestion.

Thanks again!
I think Ldraw is rather difficult solution, and I will write large tutorial, but later. Because when I started I spent a lot of time to understand it. And I think this also will be useful for you)))
LSynth is software for bendable parts. But it have problems with windows 7. I install it but with a lot of problems.
I find it makes me a little nostalgic, it's similar in an unforgiving kind of way to software I used to use to make Quake2 levels. Powerful, precise, no room for error.
This is really baffling me, did exactly that - this time is said there were new parts, his yes... they're not in there.

Sigh.
Personnaly, I don't have any problem with Lsynth and Window Se7en, works like a charm for me.

So there should be a solution for your problem.
Oh, haven't given Lsynth a go yet - don't need bendy pipes in this one.

The problem's with adding parts - I've just now (in my lunch break) re-installed, put the .dats in the right folders, MLCad knows the new parts are there, acknowledges there's new parts when I scan for parts - I rebuild the parts list, and if I open the parts list in notepad it's even in there! But I can't find the part in MLCad, even searching by its part number.

Is there some kind of toggle option to show unauthorised parts that I've missed?
If I may intrude here Stan...
What, exactly, is difficult with getting LDraw set up that isn't covered in the Getting Started tutorial? I have a great desire to make this platform more accessible and while I think we've come a long way since I started, I think we still have a long way to go. Also, if you do write a tutorial, please consider doing it over at the LDraw Wiki
Orion, yes there are a lot of good tutorials for everything, but I didn't found there answer for "what is Ldraw?". So I understand it by myself, but it took time)
I don't know why adding the parts didn't work for me before, but adding ALL the unofficial parts at once did the trick - much obliged!