James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2015 awarded to Roland Melkert

James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2015 awarded to Roland Melkert
The LDraw.org Steering Committee is pleased to announce that the 2015 James Jessiman Memorial Award (JJMA) recipient is Roland Melkert.

Just as last year programmers prevailed over part-authors as recipient for the JJMA, but the fact that there was no discussion who to pick from the candidates once Roland's name was on the table, shows how much he deserves our recognition. Roland discovered - he used the word "stumbled on" - LDraw somewhere in 2000/2001. The oldtimers among us will remember his first program LDModeler where you could animate a minifig by pulling up and down some sliders long before someone tried to get some life into a minifig by complicated POVRay scripts or Blender animation. Roland's second "exercise" LD4DStudio an LDraw animator with fast real-time preview is still online. The term "exercise" is by no means meant to be diminishing. By Roland's own admission the LDraw programs we all benefit from are subject for some programming experiments. Roland, who is a self employed software engineer from the Netherlands, uses LDraw every time he needs to learn something new. In the case of LD4DStudio it was OpenGL; luckily around 2010 he decided to dive into multi platform development which lead to LDCad, the most powerful and complete LDraw editor so far. Let's hope there are many more things to learn - for our benefit ;-) - for the this year's James Jessiman Memorial Award recipient: Roland Melkert!

More information on the JJMA can be found at: http://www.ldraw.org/article/222.html

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee
LEGO ergo sum
Re: James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2015 awarded to Roland Melkert
An extremely well deserved award! Congratulations, Roland!
My congratulation to Roland.
I don't know what to say except thank you very much.

Like Willy wrote I've been playing around with LDraw for over 15 years now and I'm still having fun so I don't see this changing any time soon Smile

Thanks again to the steerCo.
Congratulations Roland.
congratulations, Roland, and thank you for all your effort!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »