The Bricksperience

The Bricksperience
Hello LDraw Community!

I have created a relaxing PC game called The Bricksperience. You are a minifig and build sets. There is no goal apart from completing the build. Afterwards you get rewarded with Bricksperience points which you can use to unlock new features so bigger sets won't be an everlasting challenge.

Why I post this here? Because it uses LDR files as input! There are two buttons in the miscellaneous options menu to export all the available bricks from the game as either an LDD palette or an LDR file. That way you can put in your own files and build them.

The game is currently released as version 1.2. You can get some impressions here if you don't want to download it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6NC_URn7EQ

And some pictures:

.jpg   3.jpg (Size: 59.21 KB / Downloads: 2)

.jpg   2.jpg (Size: 35.27 KB / Downloads: 2)

.jpg   2.1.jpg (Size: 49.72 KB / Downloads: 3)

You can download the game here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-bricksp...rience-v12

If you decide to give it a try, I'd be very glad when you would let me know what you think! Smile
Re: The Bricksperience
That looks quite fun, especially for kids. And, looking at the video, it seems to work very well too. Nice work! Smile
I'm going to try it later today.

Btw, you can post a topic here (on Eurobricks) too, quite a few people that might be interested in this probaby don't read the LDraw forums.
Thanks! I already posted on Eurobricks: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...pic=109203 Nobody seems to be interested in it.
That's looking really great. I just wonder, why you do not use our .dat parts but create the parts again for your purpose.
Anyway. I think, I need to try this program as soon as I can find time. :-)

/Max
I need to recreate each part because of three reasons:
1. Performance - these parts have a much lower polygon count which is needed for a steady framerate (all the shading and lighting performs different than all the LDraw software).
2. Contours - without contours you couldn't recognize which brick goes where when there are two next to each other.
3. The engine - there is no good possibility to generate a mesh at runtime from external files. I could write a dat to fbx converter but I doubt it'll turn out well as the mesh export functions from LDView and LeoCAD don't work that welll either (flipped normals).
Matthias Deinert Wrote:I need to recreate each part because of three reasons:
1. Performance - these parts have a much lower polygon count which is needed for a steady framerate (all the shading and lighting performs different than all the LDraw software).
2. Contours - without contours you couldn't recognize which brick goes where when there are two next to each other.
3. The engine - there is no good possibility to generate a mesh at runtime from external files. I could write a dat to fbx converter but I doubt it'll turn out well as the mesh export functions from LDView and LeoCAD don't work that welll either (flipped normals).

Hi Matthias,

That's totally cool! Did you use an off-the-shelf gam engine (and if so, which one) or roll your own? (I'm guessing from .fbx files that you're using someone else's renderer?)

cheers
Ben
Hi Ben! I'm using the Unreal Engine 4. It allows me to create something like this without getting too much involved into coding.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »