Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions
Orion Pobursky
  • Require an openly defined vector format (e.g. SVG) as the base image. Then the texture can be derived from that automagically by the PT (or some other method)
This disallows using cleaned up scans as textures. I think that at the very least, "needs work" parts should be allowed to use cleaned up scans as their textures.

Orion Pobursky
  • Naming convention suggestion: <part number>tex.<whatever img format we decide on>
Since they will be in a textures directory, I don't think "tex" (or any variant) should be part of the filename. Some parts will require multiple textures though, so we definitely want the naming requirements to take that into account.

Orion Pobursky
  • Maybe create a new directory in PARTS? TEX?
I definitely feel that all part textures should be required to be in the parts/textures sub-directory (with maybe parts/s/textures being allowed, but maybe not; I'm not sure about that).

Orion Pobursky
  • Fallbacks should be just as good as the current non-tex patterns. Yes this adds overhead for authors but I think it's vital in the beginning.
As long as this is clearly indicated as a short-term stop-gap measure, I'm OK with this. Having this stick around long-term negates probably 75% of the point of textures.

Orion Pobursky
  • At least initially, a tex should not be required for a patterned part to become official
I don't think textures should ever be required for patterns. Some simple patterns are just better as geometry, and I think they always will be.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted
LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Allen Smith855November 02, 2012 09:21AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Travis Cobbs335November 02, 2012 09:51AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Roland Melkert289November 03, 2012 11:14AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Allen Smith210February 08, 2013 09:24AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Roland Melkert527February 08, 2013 10:23AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Orion Pobursky342November 02, 2012 05:56PM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Allen Smith325November 03, 2012 03:42PM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Travis Cobbs346November 05, 2012 09:50AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Roland Melkert307November 05, 2012 10:39AM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Roland Melkert392November 05, 2012 12:15PM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Travis Cobbs379November 05, 2012 06:33PM
Re: LSC: Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions Travis Cobbs367November 05, 2012 10:00AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.