Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted?
July 14, 2013 06:49AM
Orion Pobursky
I seem to remember a discussion that the CC-BY 2.0 license wasn't considered "open source enough" by the Debian crew.

I can't find this discussion, can you give me a link?

Orion Pobursky
Was there a change in heart?

No, CC-BY 2.0 is still considered to be "non-free" because of reasons which are summarized here: http://evan.prodromou.name/ccsummary/ccsummary.html

An overview of CC licenses in Debian is given here http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses. CC-BY 3.0 is still debated but there is work in Debian main which is CC-BY 3.0 licensed so it seems to be okay. Another CC license which work is CC-BY-SA 3.0. CC-BY-SA 2.0 and 2.5 also work because clause 4b allows redistribution of derivative works under later versions of the license.

Because LDraw is licensed under CC-BY 2.0, my packaging of the LDraw library can only enter the "non-free" section of the Debian archive. Any programs that require the LDraw parts library can therefore also not make it into Debian main but must be in the "contrib" section. Users who want to install the LDraw parts library and LDraw programs would therefore first have to enable those additional archive sections.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted
LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Johannes Schauer668July 08, 2013 01:35AM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Willy Tschager206July 09, 2013 12:22PM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Johannes Schauer193July 10, 2013 03:59AM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Santeri Piippo239July 09, 2013 03:31PM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Johannes Schauer219July 10, 2013 03:52AM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Orion Pobursky203July 12, 2013 09:43AM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Johannes Schauer311July 14, 2013 06:49AM
Re: LDraw parts list and programs in Debian - any more programs wanted? Orion Pobursky289July 16, 2013 05:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login